Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #1 
BubbleBetta12

Exclamation First Betta Fish

I am looking for advice on how to: take care of, plan a tank design, and how often to feed my betta when I get him/her in approximately the upcoming 2 weeks. I would like to know what type of plants (plastic or real) would be better. Also It would be nice to know what food would be best for the Betta to eat. Weather it be blood worms or any other type other than live food (please). Also a good sized tank not over 10 gallons what would be the best for one and maybe in the future 2 fish?

I would appreciate any tips on caring for/ playing with my fish. Also any other things to put in to the tanks. Ex: Gems v. Pebbles, Bubble makers v. None, Plastic plants v. real plants.

[u]The other problem is how to pick a fish. I would be going to Petsmart so I would not be able to get top quality. But should I get the ones that look like they are in bad condition and hope they turn out alright (saving a fish)? On the other hand should I get the one that looks healthy and will most likely have the chance to live?

Sorry this was so long just want to be prepared for having a Betta can't wait! Any advice will help! THANKYOU!!!!
BubbleBetta12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #2 
bahamut285

Hello Bubble, welcome to the forum. This is an excellent Sticky on how to get started (it's at the top of the Care section)

But here is the link anyway: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #3 
BubbleBetta12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Hello Bubble, welcome to the forum. This is an excellent Sticky on how to get started (it's at the top of the Care section)

But here is the link anyway: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078
Thankyou Bahamut for sharing that with me it is so much information at once I am still reading it! Thankyou!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:50 AM   #4 
Dozzem

Welcome to the form! Put NOTHING sharp in the tank and have hiding spots. That is all I got :)
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:08 AM   #5 
Banicks

Welcome BubbleBetta12 :)

Many of the stickies on these forums would actually answer your questions in extremely great detail.

In regards to plant choice, PewPewPew has written an excellent guide on aquatic plants here: (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428). As to why this is not a sticky yet, who knows! Aquatic plants look realistic (for obvious reasons), can assist a cycle and ammonia levels, and also improve tank qualities. On the other hand, they can also cause a bit more of a headache as a beginner – from personal experience. I currently have 2 anubias that are either going to live or die because I was unaware of the need to isolate an unwell Betta from a main tank when dosing medication. For this reason, if you do end up getting live plants, I recommend having a QT on standby for Betta if anything happens (Quarantine Tank), and also a good liquid fertiliser on hand to give them a fighting chance. Appropriate lighting will also be required as well depending on choice of plants.

Fake plants require almost no maintenance, and the only thing you must be careful with is the sharpness or snag possibilities of Betta’s fins. Running a pair of pantyhose across them, is a good test to see if they are suitable. Silk plants are preferable as they are softer.

Ultimately the choice is yours. Personally, I am prepared to switch to fake plants if my current living ones do not survive.

In regards to choosing a Petsmart Betta, it is recommend that a beginner chooses a healthy as possible. This way you have the greatest chance of success with him/her, without having to combat additional diseases that can be daunting to someone who is just starting. So if you chose to purchase your Betta from Petsmart, it is advisable to select the healthiest disease free one there, or, shop elsewhere, or, wait for a new shipment which most likely would be in relatively good condition.

Once you gain experience and knowledge like many on here (not myself), it is a breeze to take a sick fishy home, and see them mend and live healthy lives.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #6 
BubbleBetta12

Thankyou to both Banicks and Dozzem for the advice I am looking forward to my betta!!!!!!