Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #1 
fightergirl2710

Should I take her out?

My female betta is in with the male for the past 7 hours. She has breeding stripes and they were both conditioned. The thing is she still wont submit to the male. He just keeps chasing her and she hides and breathes heavily. She still has her vertical stripes but now a lot of her fins have been damaged (she has very long fins for a female). I can't watch her getting nipped. Should I let out of the tank or should I grit my teeth and wait for something to happen? Please help.. :<
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Tell us more about the spawning tank and spawning method you are using...also is this their first time to be spawned and the age....

As long as the tank has plenty of places for her to get away and rest-she is healthy to start....the tank is properly setup and they had been conditioned...leave them together.....not uncommon for fin damage, missing scales...etc......but if she start to look too distressed and can't get away from him or in a too small spawning tank...etc.....you may need to take her out and start over.....

Post a pic of your spawning tank and give us the stats.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Thanks OFL, I ended up removing her because of the abuse she had taken but since I'll be trying in 2 more weeks, some advice would be great. :)
This is the first time spawning or both bettas. They're not more than 7 months in age.
I used the hobbyist method, with the female in a separate container in the tank etc. When she showed vertical stripes and the male had a nest going I released her.

The male would alternate between flaring at her, showing off, nipping and building his nest. She was beaten up prtty badly, all her fins are damaged and she was breathing very heavily. She's in QT right now and still not completely normal. I'm starting the conditioning process all over.

The tank I will be using and was using today is a 8 gallon filled halfway (5-6 inches) with IAL, a mossball, live stem plants i.e. watersprite and dwarf bacopa. And a plastic plant. I re did the tank today for the future and added some more watersprite.. It has a heater at 28 as well as a sponge filter that is not on at the moment.
Is there anything else I can do?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Try adding some more plants and caves...females are smart and wedge themselves into places males are too dumb to even think about looking haha. Try keeping here in the chimney a little longer next time.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710

Lol! Seriously, my girl had back flipped over some floating plants, the guy didn't know what happened.. :D
I'll add some PVC pipes next time.. I feel like I've crammed it all I can though. :/ She was in the chimney from 8 pm last night to 10 am today.. And I released her because she looked pretty ready. :( Maybe I missed a sign...
Old 09-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Cram the tank full of plants to the point that it is hard for the male to get through-but not the female-leaving a space under the location that you want the nest....if you have IAL-let one float on top of the plants and she will hop on it to hide....fill the tank up with more water too-more volume=more space....use the plant as a natural divider to prevent premature egg drops and missed signs......as long as she can get away to rest...she should be fine...sometimes it can take a day or so...even up to a week in some cases...when she is ready-she will go to him in a head down position...but don't be surprised if he attacks her a couple of more times...that is normal pre-spawn behavior...well....one of many....lol.....and this can change from spawn to spawn even with the same breeders....some will play tag for days and then calm down to spawn.....

If you have live food like mosquito larva-mass feed them-with both in the spawning tank-feed the larva in one location so they have to feed together...

Sometimes the spawning act can be rather violent......but if they are healthy, breeding age, well conditioned.....they should be fine......

When you condition them-it is best that they are in separate containers-neither in the spawning tank-let them see each other a couple of times a day for 5-10min.......

Once in the spawning tank and they haven't spwaned in a day or so-add another male in a cup for 5-10 min and let them fight through the partition...its important that the female see this too.....sometimes it can stimulate her to spawn with the winner of the fight.....she doesn't know he won due to default when you took the cup out with the other male....all she know is she seen a fight and only one male standing....lol....instinct tells her to spawn with the strongest......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #7 
fightergirl2710

When I conditioned them this time I isolated them completely.. So this time I'll let them see each other as you said. I'm trying to make the tank really dark with tannins for the next try, hopefully it will help as well. :)
So next time around, I shouldn't have any chimney or anything? Just lots of plants? And should I introduce them together or separately? This time I had put the male in a few hours before the female.

I'll be sure to try the add another male idea too. :D Sounds great!

Creat was telling me about how she breeds, a method you told her about.. Where going from dirty to clean water helps them spawn. No acclimatization at all, just plop them in at lights out or day break... Between the method that I'm trying right now and that one. Which would be better for me?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #8 
cajunamy
Banned

Honestly the nipping is normal. As long as it's only fin damage, and nothing more, I'd leave her in. I know you already took her out though.

My pairs have take a full day before they actually get busy spawning.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #9 
fightergirl2710

Wow all that is really normal? She was tattered and hiding, I just couldn't bear it... I know people always mention in their guides that they will nip, but I never realised it would be to such an extent..
I really have to get used to it then.. I was too soft I guess lol!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #10 
Punki

I did the same thing, some nips and hiding with heavy breathing and she was OUT, only when i promised myself i wouldnt approach the tank unless i saw something brutal, the spawn worked, and yeah her fins were all nipped up. I did as ofl said, crammed the plants in so tightly that he couldnt fit in between some of them and even when he did, it was hard to spot her in the mess of plants. Good luck next time :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote