Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #1 
ninjaofthe9seas

Exclamation What IS that on my plants?!

No one answered in the other thread... So i'm trying again here. :/ Once again I'm getting strange ish algae kinda stuff in my tank. Before it gets really bad I've decided to come here for help to see what you guys say. Right now its only on my Amazon Swords, probably because my little snail does an AMAZING job at keeping the walls clean. Pictures of the algae stuff:

______________If it would help if i did all that tank size/temp/lighting/ etc lemme know and i'll post quick. :3____
ninjaofthe9seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Do you mean the dark brown stuff on the leaves? Brown algae. You can just wipe it off. I get that too. It happens to me when the tank light is on for 10 hrs or more.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #3 
ninjaofthe9seas

Yeah all the brown stuff. and theres some green stuff. and some blackerish stuff... :P
Old 09-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Sounds like it's all algae. Nasty algae. You can scrub it off with a cloth or algae brush. If it gets to be a huge problem, you might consider a snail or shrimp for your tank.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I don't think that is algae...it looks more like cyanobacteria (BGA) to me...does it grow in sheets and have a smell to it-comes off pretty easy???...is it on anything else in the tank...google cyanobacteria and see if you can find pics....its pretty easy to take care of-but it can take a bit of time.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Whoops, sorry to mislead you, Ninja! Thanks OFL!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #7 
ninjaofthe9seas

UGH. XP Its not on anything else yet. I'm trying to think back to when i had it before if it started on the plants then too or not... I know it was hecka hard to get rid of and i think it kept making my last betta sick and eventually was what killed him... I'll start treating for it i guess just because I dont want the same stuff to happen again... :( Good thing i've got the treatment already. Either the leaf or the algae kind of slid off the one leaf... I'll try to get another pic.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #8 
ninjaofthe9seas

Ok well i poked at it with the fish net and it pretty much all but fell off the leaf... Its slimy and looks like cynobacteria... Will start treatment soon. :/ Thankyou very much for your help, both of you. <3
Old 09-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Best treatment I have found-manual removal and daily water changes...it can take about a week to get rid of it.....need to find the cause too so to prevent it-otherwise it will be back or a never ending battle......

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, how long has the tank been running, how deep is the substrate and kind, additive used, water temp, type of filter and is it baffled, stocking, is uneaten food removed within a reasonable time, number and species of live plants, lights-age of bulb, watts, kelvin, photoperiod.....
Old 09-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for the double post..but I can't get the ad to close so I can get to the edit button...also need to know additives......I hate ads......especially when you can't get them to close.....