Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 
Dozzem

New Betta, Need a little bit of help please

I just went to the reptile store in surch of a cool "rainbow" betta I wanted but it wasn't there. There was three there: a VERY sick pink guy that didn't move, an avtive red one and an in-the-middle purple guy. He has a very cute face and nice color. I fell in love :D He was in a very small and very dirty cup. It also looked like he had trouble breathing and he is really, really small. I bought him for 5$ and got him home. I already had a QT cube tank set up for the other betta, with a few healing stones in it.

Here is this thing:
Housing
What size is your tank? I'm not sure, a cube for now. I will move him to a 2.5 soon
What temperature is your tank? Around 70
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He ate a BIG pellat that barlie fit in his mouth, he is one hungry guy
How often do you feed your betta fish? I feed him right when i got home

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I will everyday untill I move him in my 2.5
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? none

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He had stress strips but they went away :D Looks like the start fin rot :(
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is active and swims well. a little slow
When did you start noticing the symptoms?just got him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Idk
How old is your fish (approximately)? looks young!

So here are my questions for you all:
What should I do about him being skinny and the start of fin rot?
He isn't breathing odd now but why was he?
When should I put him in a 2.5 gal?
What tail is he and what color?
How old?
Any name ideas lol?

Thanks for reading!
Attached Images

Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Wow, he's skinny! Poor little guy! Feed him small meals often, like one pellet maybe 3 times a day. It's important that he doesn't stuff himself right away because his little system can't handle it right now.

He may have been breathing odd because he was stressed. Keep an eye on him and if it starts again, lower his water level and post back. His fins actually don't look too bad right now so if you have it, use some Stress Coat on him. You can also use 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon, pre-dissolved. That will help keep his fins from getting an infection.

It's hard to say what tail he is right now. I think we'll have to wait for his fins to unclamp first. He looks like he could be a veiltail but you never know, he might turn out to be a delta when he unclamps. He looks like he's maybe 3 months old? Not very old, that's for sure.

If you can heat the cube he's in to about 78, you can leave him in there for a few days. Otherwise, get him into a bigger tank that you can heat as soon as possible.

Good luck with the little guy!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #3 
Leeniex

Poor little dude!!! I hope he fattens up nicely for you. He looks like he can be beautiful. :)
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

Aw, he's a cute little dude. Very skinny, but sweet. Nice stones btw, especially the amethyst. You should look up how to treat fin rot in the sticky in the forum. I believe fin rot can be treated with aquarium salt, and 2 water changes a week. One 50% and one 100%. To me, the temperature is too cool. I'd say 76 should be the lowest for him. You might want to crush the pellets so they don't cause constipation when he jams them in his tummy. You could feed him a pellet 2-3 times a day if the temp is higher then 70. 78 may bring his apatite up. They'll digest better and he'll put on weight. He was breathing oddly probably because ammonia was building up in his cup. Now that he's out of it, he can breath easier. He's a veil tail. Don't know what's the name of the color type. He may be less then 6 months old. He looks very young. Treat the fin rot before you put him in his real home. Will be easier to do water changes. I can't wait to see how big he's going to get :)
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #5 
aurasoulful

What Sakura8 said. Listen to her :D
Old 09-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #6 
Dozzem

:D Thanks all, I will find a way to heat his tank up and feed him a little pellat here and there. I bet he will ture out great! Will he grow any? He is really small
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #7 
aurasoulful

He must definitely will ^^
Old 09-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #8 
Dozzem

Awesome! He is chilling on the bottom of the tank. Then he saw some fallen food and ate it all up :D Cool I got a little baby~
Old 09-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #9 
Dozzem

Talking

Look! He looks better already! He has aten everything he can find (to much ...) and you can see his little belly. He is also very purple.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #10 
Silverfang

wonder if you might have a lil mustard gas boy
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote