Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #1 
pandacraze34

Is my fish ok?

So I have two bettas, Louie (red) and Otto (blue). I've had them for a little more than a year, but I just now discovered this forum since Louie had an infection and I needed troubleshooting!

Anyway, I was thinking about Otto. Below I have a pic of him, he looks about the same as when I bought him at Petsmart except maybe a little fatter! Is his color ok? When I bought him, I noticed he wasn't completely blue but for some reason I thought it just meant he was one of the older fish (hence kinda why I got him lol), but I just want to make sure he doesn't have fin rot or if there's a way for him to get some color back (unless that's his original color...).

Thanks!
Attached Images

pandacraze34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

That is his normal color. Mustard gas. Lots of Bettas have it. It is just beautiful.

You should be glad about his coloring, not worried! :3
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

His coloring looks to me to be mustard gas. Very pretty fish. Overall he looks healthy. Maybe feed him a little less. lol.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #4 
pandacraze34

Thanks for the clarification! Good to know he's healthy :D
Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #5 
iloveengl

Another beautiful mustard gas. I swear I'll never find them locally just because I want one so badly. lol

You have a beautiful boy.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #6 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveengl View Post
Another beautiful mustard gas. I swear I'll never find them locally just because I want one so badly. lol

You have a beautiful boy.

Me too...I am just dying for one!
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #7 
pandacraze34

Hmm, yea, thanks for letting me know! When I got my bettas, Otto was the only blue betta at Petsmart that wasn't completely blue. It's kinda cool now knowing mustard gas bettas are harder to find! The one problem is that it's so hard to take pics of him b/c he's either always moving or the color shows up too dark on the camera usually.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #8 
Myates

Handsome boy you have!
I had one in my hand last week, mustard gas with metallic very light blue. But chose another. If I felt comfortable shipping, I would of gotten it and gave it to someone else =(

It looks like his back fin has regrowth.. was it shorter recently? Or maybe it's because he has it on the other side (forgive me, just woke up lol). His fins look a tiny bit beat up in some areas. May I ask the tank size and water changing schedule? And how much %?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #9 
pandacraze34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Handsome boy you have!
I had one in my hand last week, mustard gas with metallic very light blue. But chose another. If I felt comfortable shipping, I would of gotten it and gave it to someone else =(

It looks like his back fin has regrowth.. was it shorter recently? Or maybe it's because he has it on the other side (forgive me, just woke up lol). His fins look a tiny bit beat up in some areas. May I ask the tank size and water changing schedule? And how much %?
Yea, it used to be a bit shorter, b/c he used to have a tail biting incident. I think it was that my two bettas (now just Otto, this one :() had shared a 1-gallon tank with a divider which I got b/c Petsmart seemed to insinuate it was ok. Earlier this year, I got them their owns tanks so Otto now has the 1 gallon to himself and the tail biting has seemingly stopped and he seems happier...(he made a few bubblenests! it's so cute watching them make it in action). I do water changing (1/3 of the tank) about once a week. I've been recently told that's too infrequent? Is it ok, that his fins are slowly growing back?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #10 
Myates

As long as they are growing, then it is fine no matter how long it takes. Stress coat will help in fin regrowth. And yes, that is too infrequent for a 1gal. 1 50% and 1 100% per week is usually the recommended. The cleaner water will also help his fins grow back faster and stronger. =)
Mine tend to make bubble nests late in the evening or even over night, so I never get to see them do it. I just wake up in the morning with a surprise lol
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote