Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #1 
AHaskell5

Unhappy Breeding blues

So I bought this young male (about 6 months old) for the very purpose of breeding. When I first brought him home he was blowing bubble nests daily. He is in a 5 gal tank with a plant for a nest anchor with a heater (but no filter so the water is still). I keep the tank at a comfy 80(f), I do full water changes 3 times a week and the pH is usually 7.0.
I condtioned him (and the female I bought with him) for three weeks and then placed them together... she kicked his little fishy butt and destroyd his fins so I seperated the two. It's been a little while since that incident, his wounds are all healed and I bought a nicer female to go with him and reconditioned him.
When I introduced them she showed signs of interest but he refused to build a nest. I've lowered and raised the water , pH , light and ammount of plants. Did I scar him or is he just not into this girl? Is there anything I can do to incourage him to build a nest? Or is he just having issues with being a virgin ? I've read places that he doesnt need a nest to mate but when he was showing signs of interest I released to little lady and he litterally tore part of her face off - I dont know what to do! Please help :/
AHaskell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHaskell5 View Post
When I introduced them she showed signs of interest but he refused to build a nest. I've lowered and raised the water , pH , light and ammount of plants. Did I scar him or is he just not into this girl? Is there anything I can do to incourage him to build a nest? Or is he just having issues with being a virgin ? I've read places that he doesnt need a nest to mate but when he was showing signs of interest I released to little lady and he litterally tore part of her face off - I dont know what to do! Please help :/
IMO you shouldn't mess with pH.

Try this:
1. Separate and isolate your breeding pair for now.

2. I don't rely on bubble nest as signs of readiness.

3. Try flaring them once in a while - either to each other or to other bettas. BOTH must show flirting swimming. your female beating the male shows that she DOES NOT want to spawn.

4. If they're reluctant, try flaring them for a much longer time to other bettas - DO NOT fully open their divider, just open the bottom part about 1 - 2 inches and let them flare for an hour or so. If possible change their sparring partner every now and then. Then let them rest for the day. Keep doing this until BOTH show flirting signs.

5. AFTER both show flirting signs, introduce them in the breeding tank.

Good Luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #3 
AHaskell5

Thanks for the help :) Ill try this *crosses fingers*
AHaskell5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding