Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #1 
Finnigan

Finnigan!!! He's not eating! </3

I bought Finnigan a week ago, he hasn't been eating very much and he's starting to develop these white bumps/spots. I'm very worried. =(

Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #2 
Indyfishy

Poor little guy, I'm so sorry he's under the weather!!! Can you fill out the questions here for us so we can help you better??? Also, i there anything in his tank that he could have scratched himself on?? Those spots look like missing scales. Are they fuzzy at all or raised???

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #3 
Finnigan

Unfortunately I'm a very novice Betta owner, my first betta ever. I felt lonely at collage so I went and bought Finnigan! I do have 1 plastic plant in the tank, maybe he's been getting scratched by it? He like to hang and lie on the leaves often. The bumps don't seem fuzzy just maybe a little raised/swollen?

To answer some of the questions:

The tank isn't actually too big. I figured I'd start out with a half gallon tank and size it up as he grew a bit bigger.

The temperature I keep at a little bit above room temperature with the use of a light and towels.

I do not have a filter, aeration stone nor is it heated (However I plan on getting one very soon because I actually need the towels I'm currently using to try and keep the tank warm) and he lives alone in the tank.

I've been feeding my fish the default flakes that came with the tank set up that the store said was "Just fine." I highly doubt it because Finni has only been eating it out of starvation it seems. I wanted to drop by the store and get something else today but I became overwhelmed with errands related to collage.

I've had him for a week and I've been doing 50% water changes every 2 days, and just yesterday I did a 100% water change marking the 1 week I've had him. For additives I just use the default water conditioner provided with the kit.

I don't have a water parameters kit so I couldn't tell you, but when I had purchased Finni the white spots were not present and just today I noticed them. His behaviour changes from becoming really active to very lazy. I'm not too prepared for treating Finni but if it's really a serious problem I can go on Friday because tomorrow I have a lot of class to attend.

As I may have already stated, I've only had Finnigan for a week so I don't know his illness history nor could I tell of his age but he's about 1 in long from tip of his tail to his mouth.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #4 
Indyfishy

I think he might be scratching himself on the plant in the tank, so i would remove that. Those little half gallon tanks come with some pretty prickly plants XP Your water change schedule sounds pretty good, so I don't think it could really be ammonia poisoning, however I would up it to one 100% every other day for now, just to be safe. It is a small tank, and ammonia can build up rather quickly in them. Get a larger tank for him as soon as possible, he might be a bit depressed in something that small. Even one gallon would be just fine for him. For now, when you go to the store here's what you should pick up:
Aquarium Salt: To treat his missing scales he'll need a treatment of 1 tsp per gallon of aq salt everyday for 10 days or until he's better (no longer than 10 days, as it could hurt his kidneys). Change his water 100% everyday while he is in the salt treatment.
A more high protein betta food: Since you have no idea of knowing how old the food is that came with your kit, it would be a good idea to get him some new food, and the higher the protein content the better since he is a little guy. When you pick out a food, read the back of the label. It will say a number and then Crude Protein %. Anything above 40% is pretty good. Also, read the ingredients, make sure the first two are something seafood related, not wheat or soy.
Freeze dried bloodworms: They're icky, but they have alot of protein and they'll help him pack on the pounds.
Stress Coat or Stress Coat +: It's a special water conditioner that helps promote fin and scale regrowth. It will also just perk him up in general, it's soothing to fish.
This should work, if not go ahead and post back here and we'll help you out!!! It sounds like he was already ill when you purchased him, so don't feel like this is your fault in any way. Hopefully we can make him as good as new =)
Old 09-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #5 
Finnigan

Hmm, sounds like a good start. I'll start off by giving him a 100% water change and removal of the plant. I'm very busy today as my Thursday collage schedule is severly intense, but I have a 2 hr break so I'm thinking about sneaking off to the store really quick and pick up a 1 gallon, a heater, new food, aquarium salt and stress coat for sure. One question, should I have decor at all in the aquarium? I'm aware that betta fins are quite fragile but I also hear that they like to rest on things and enjoy places to hide?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

You can have "soft" decor :) there are silk plants, or plants that are more... "fabric" then anything else. I used these for my bettas, since I found many of my plastic plants were harming them. You can also try finding a rounded hiding spot object... I used to have this hollowed rock thing, and my betta loved it.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

Exactly what Sena said, silk plants or even smooth plastic plants are fine. Feel the decor you pick out with your hands, and if it is sharp or could easily catch onto his fins then don't buy it. Anything smooth is perfectly fine =)
Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Indy is right :) there is also another method, is using pantyhose and running it along a plant. If it tears, probably not a good plant. If it is smooth and doesn't run the hose, it basically is great for bettas. (fyi the hose is the imaginary betta fins lmao) I've seen this done and it's a great method.

You can also get a live plant. Those don't hurt either :p
Old 09-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #9 
Finnigan

Thanks fir the help guys. I appreciate it, going to class now, going to pick up the supplies during my break and I'll post how Finni is doing tomorrow or so =)
Old 09-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Good :) also he may not be eating as much because you did get him a week ago. One betta I had ate right away, another ate 3 days after, another a week, and another took 2.5 weeks >< just the adjustment period :)