Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #11 
Myates

If you get low on budget since college can drain one.. you can pick up silk plants/flowers(non fragrant and non fuzzy at Walmart, a bunch for $2, can get a couple different ones, cut them up and decorate bowl, or use the aquarium sealant to glue together to make things. I do that with my tanks, just got some "fall leaves" to use). Also a small coffee cup can be placed in a 1gal easily with a silk plant to give him his "cave".

As for healing, Indy has you covered with the salt treatment, and I second that of getting stress coat. Good luck and I hope your little guy gets better. Welcome to the forums!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #12 
Finnigan

Okay, so I just got back from the pet store. I picked up aquarium salt, and a bottle of stress coat. I also picked up some pellets that contained Salmon, Halibut and shrimp as their top 3 ingredients with 42% protein. I picked up a small container of dried bloodworms as well for cheap.

What I ended up holding off to be honest was the tank and heater. They were hugely overpriced and I can't just get one and not the other because the tank I have is puny and wouldn't be able to house any of the heater models the store had available.

I'm going back home maybe this weekend or next weekend, (may reconsider....considering Finnigan needs a bit of special attention) and go back to my parents and "steal" some of my old aquarium supplies that I had stored away.

So what I've done so far was do a 100% water change in the morning (conditioned with the default conditioner) and removed the plant, and I just now placed a half tsp of aquarium salt in, tomorrow I will do another 100% water change and this time I'll add both the salt and Stress Coat + correct? Right now I'm trying to get him to accept the new food. It's stressing me out a lot because I'm afraid he's starving.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that he's been hanging aroud at the top of the aquarium a lot. It's not that he has a problem sinking to the bottom, I've checked up on him and he'll see me and swim to the bottom, but on occasion I'll look at the tank and he'll be at the surface of the water.

Last edited by Finnigan; 09-15-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: PS.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #13 
Finnigan

Here are some pictures of him after I applied the salts, no change yet, too short a duration to notice change of course.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #14 
Indyfishy

Wow, he is a tiny little guy! Are his spots getting fuzzy or are they still flat???? The aquarium salt will irritate him a little bit so that's probably why he's up at the top of the water. Make sure you keep your lid on your tank, sometimes bettas try to make a break for it when they're in salty water x_x
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #15 
Finnigan

I just did the 2nd 100% water change adding the AQ salt and Stress Coat, good news. He's been accepting the new food readily! He ate 2 pellets last night and 2 this morning! I think he's overfed now, he's got a belly, so I'm gonna fast him for a day.

On the topic of the spots, I can notice them becoming slightly fuzzy. Is that a good sign or a bad sign?

PS. Oh the lid of the tank is always on and locked in place, it was only open for the sake of the photo.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

My female was in the container next to Spartan's tank, healing her one wound and her raggy fins with salt water x.x she tried to get into HIS tank lmao. good thing she is hardy D:
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #17 
Indyfishy

Fuzzy is usually not a good sign, but it might be just extra slime coat accumulating over the spots from the AQ salt treatment. Let me PM a forum member that has really good experience with diseases and I'll have her take a look at it. But I'm soooo glad he has an appetite, that's a great sign!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

I noticed for my fish, fuzzy was either fungus starting to grow on it, or the body's defense attempting to heal the wound, therefore blocking any outside bacteria from getting in... IMO/E of course.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #19 
Indyfishy

I'm almost positive that it's extra slime coat, but I sent oldfishlady a message about it to come take a look at it, just in case. In the meantime, keep up with the salt treatments and continue with the stresscoat and water changes!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Yeah salt is the best :) I warn not to use bettafix or mellafix... many people have had problems with it including me. Perhaps it works for some people... But I'd rather you use salt and stress coat for your little betta :)