Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #1 
tsukiowns

Question Otos and bettas? quick respons plz read desciption

ok so have a 10g tank and implanning to devide it into two 5g tanks so i can have 2 betas... my question is since i dont want shrimp (due to the fact that they can become snaks quite easily) not snails (bad experiance) i was planning to get ottos and put 2 in each compartment of the tank is that acceptable
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Please remember that otos can get very big, and you'll have to get bigger tanks for them :) you technically could, just remember to take into account their adult sizes and exercise needs :p you could have them with certain bettas... certain being the key word. some bettas would dislike an oto, while others could care less.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #3 
tsukiowns

ok so i should just stivk to a snail or a shrimp to clean the tank... My last snail died and when i took him out and turned him over he was just water so i dont want that to happen again it was gross.. but i can try my worry is having 2 snails tha end up mating and i end up with an infestation of snail or shrimp
Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

The best snails to get, that do not breed heavily like any other snail, is the apple snail. If they do breed, it's actually a good thing, plus you can easily sell them, give them away... or, the eggs are usually just to the top of the water and you can dispose of them. I'd stay away from ones like the mystery snails, or common snails. Zebra snails, Onion snails, Apple snails... there's a good number of awesome snails. And I agree, finding a dead snail is grooosss D:

Just make sure, to have that tank cycled :) (if you have it cycle ignore the couple sentences after this) 4-6 weeks running, adding small amount of fish flakes each day usually works.. some people use raw shrimp. This'll cycle your tank and make sure your snails don't suffer :) same with the fishies.

Shrimp do usually become snacks... or murder victims. Always depends on the betta :)
Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #5 
tsukiowns

yeah its been runnig for a while with one betta for abot 3 weeks and thats why i think is ready for a 2nd betta with a divider... the only thing is that i only see mystery and dont apple snails get really big... i need 2 small cute thinks to help clean the tank
Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Depends on the apple snail. There are the giant apple snails and the regular apple snails. Apple snails do not grow super fast... mine grew slightly in the time I had him (my female half giant murdered him...) which was lovely for a 10-20 gallon!!!

Check with stores in your area, asking what type of snails they carry.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #7 
Silverfang

you could try nerite snails, they are tiny
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Silverfang, the nerites are really nice :p if you can find them, go for them. They really are a decent size.. I would have chosen a few of those over an apple snail, if I could find them....
Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #9 
tsukiowns

yeah i have a 10g split in 2 so its 2 5gs and can get big for a 5g tank the apple snail and the nerite im affraid they may breed
Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #10 
fightergirl2710

Otos DO NOT get big. Maybe 1.5 to 2 inches. But then again, they enjoy being with 3 or more of their kind so it will be difficult to house that many. Snails are a good choice but don't get apple snails because they get huge although they don't reproduce as easily as most. Trumpet snails are good because they turn over substrate, nerites are good too, I have ramshorn and pond snails, they stay small but they can over populate a tank.. Bettas do enjoy them ask a snack though. So that can help population control. :) And if they do overpopulate an assassin snail can take care of them in no time!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote