Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #1 
Princess Penny

Foam forming in filter?

Say that 5x fast ;)

Anyway, I have the 6.6gal bookshelf aquarium from Petco that comes with a filter. The flow is adjustable but I noticed that when I turn it way down (as any betta would prefer), foam starts forming inside the filter. I have taken it off, rinsed it out well a few times but it keeps happening. I think it's from turning the flow down? Anyway, I tried turning the flow back up to a more normal speed and baffling the filter, which seems to work great BUT now the foam is dispersed over the entire surface of the water! O_o It's about a half cm thick. I am going to do a water change tonight and see if that helps but it's been a couple of weeks now since I've had the tank and the foam always forms (even after water changes) so I'm not sure how well it will help. Has anyone else with this tank/filter ever had this problem? It doesn't seem to bother my betta but, you know, just seems really weird haha.

I'd take a picture but, I'm at work. Later!
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #2 
Banicks

Penny from my own understanding of the the filters, turning it down a lot does restrict the flow of water into the motor/pump.

This, in theory, would then cause the pump to draw in air making up for the pressure it is attempting to maintain and unable to do so because of the restricted water flow to it, thus causing bubbles. Much like when you prime a filter for the first time, in those that need to be primed. Bubbles start, funny noises until it clears out the air.

This is only my theory though. Perhaps turn it up just a little so the bubbles arent forming and causing strain to the pump?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #3 
Princess Penny

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I have turned it up and baffled it, I'll do a water change to get the foam out of the tank and see if it starts forming again after that. Thanks for the input!
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #4 
Banicks

You're welcome :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote