Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Advice? Scared to use divided tank.

I was thinking today, as I was cleaning out the 5g my baby swordtails used, that I have room for 2 more bettas lol My 5g is divided already. But me and my fiance agreed to no more bettas. Then I was thinking I have 4 boys in 1.5g tanks and 1 in a 1g tank. Putting two boys in the 5g not only frees up some space and plugs, but 3 of the 5 would get an upgrade.
My only problem? I'm scared to use a divided tank. After loosing Venom and Carnage when they were in this divided tank, I decided to only use individual tanks. Now that I'm more experienced with betta care, I want to try but I'm still very nervous.

I figure I could use the tetra filter in each side, and put Freddy and Twitch in there. Then Nixon could have the 1.5g until I buy him a filter. He's in a 1g unfiltered now anyways.

So guys, talk me into it? :'(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #2 
dragonflie

I'm a terrible one for talking people into things, because it would make me a hypocrite...I worry an awful lot even when I don't need to. ;)

I'm sorry you lost the other two that were in there. What happened? Did they get around the divider? If that's the case and if it were me, that would affect my decision.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #3 
jeanclaudeasher

My first divided tank, I had someone jump the divided, I quickly set up a 2 gallon tank and gave up the idea. Then I was given a 29 gallon and decided to try dividing it again into 3 so I could have 3 bettas. Its working great! The biggest thing to watch is make sure that the water level is low enough that they cant jump over the dividers. When I first started the divided 29 I bought the plastic mesh that you can get at craft stores for needle work and layed it across the top of the tank until I figured out how high they could jump. That way they couldnt jump over but it still let air in. I also keep my least aggressive betta in the middle section and they all ignore each other now.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

I have no idea what happened to Venom, he had a rapid something or other eat his fins off in a matter of 3 hours. We members are still baffled by what happened. Carnage was in the tank with him, I had to move him ASAP. He contacted ich because of it, which makes me fearful of having two bettas share a tank. My divider is siliconed in and I have a topper that prohibits jumping.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #5 
jeanclaudeasher

Well if they are bettas that you have had for a while then they should be healthy and should be ok together, just keep a back up tank handy in case you need to separate one out quickly. I got lucky when mine jumped the divider the first time because I came home shortly after and while he had some chunks out of his tail, both were ok once separated and both lived long happy lives. I love having the divided set up I have now =D it makes water changes easier and it gives me more desk space.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I have 2 spare tanks now, I'll have 4 spare if I do this lol I also have 2 spare 10g too. I am just so scared to divide tanks, my guys would be in betta bliss if I were fine with it.

I'm just worried, scared that by moving them I could loose them. Then I'll feel horrible. I've had Freddy for 1.5 months and Twitch for over 2 months. Both came here sick and I nursed them back to health.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #7 
jeanclaudeasher

Maybe you could move one of them into the divided tank for a while (like a couple of days) and see how he reacts and then try adding the second one.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #8 
Kytkattin

I have 2 boys in a 5 gallon that is divided. Have had no health problems at all so far. It has been about 2 months. I don't see it as being any different than a community tank, as far as keeping them healthy. Yes, sometimes things happen, but I think the benefits of my fish being in a filtered and planted tank outweigh the risks of them being in a community. I can provide a better environment for them in the larger tank together than I could individually.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Yeah that's what I'm facing. 2g+ tanks are $50 on sale here, the most I can provide affordably is the 1.5g. But if I divide this tank, its a free 2.5g for each.
Don't even lol My community tanks have battled ich and two bouts of columinaris(sp).
Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #10 
Kytkattin

What about just dividing the tank so they become two solid separate tanks? Have glass cut and then silicone the pieces in.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote