Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #1 
person

Could He be getting sick?

My betta has bin lethargic with clamped fins and bareley comes out of his little cave. He bareley eats and ive tryed changing his water, different kinds of food. and just trying to get him to flair up at stuff like he used to. im really worried. I cant quite find the right word to describe him but he just looks off. His pretty blue eyes even seem to have turned grey. he looks like hes getting skinny and i cant get him to eat. could he be cold? his bowl dosnt have a heater or light. but the room hes in is always warm. should i try putting a light on him? He lives in a 1/2 gallon tank with no filter, but i cant afford a bigger one. I keep his bowl clean tho. I have another tank with a filter but it has my girl bettas in it and it isnt big enugh for a divider and everyone to have enugh space. i would but i dont think its a good idea to take away room from the girls. i dont want them to fight. is there anything i can do for him? he seems really sad. And i dont know if hes getting sick.
person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #2 
bahamut285

He may be cold, what is the temperature of his water? If you don't know, what is the temperature of the room he's in?

How old is he and how often do you change his water?
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #3 
person

i change half his water every 3 days. and I dont know his exact age. he was fully grown when i got him from the pet store. Ive had him for a couple of months and it looks like he grew so i think hes under a year old. the temp of the room is about 80 degrees. I put a lamp over him and he swam to the to and started swimming around. his fins were still clamped up but at least hes not hiding anymore. i think i should just keep more light on him. he seems to like it :)
Old 09-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #4 
bahamut285

I'd try changing those half changes to FULL changes. The light is probably warming him up a bit. The water temperature is always a few degrees cooler than the air, so he might be cold.

The light is good for now, but the temperature fluctuations from turning it on and off can cause stress. Leaving it on all the time will also cause the water to heat up too high.

I hope he gets well soon :)

Last edited by bahamut285; 09-14-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #5 
Myates

You should consider getting at least a gallon with a mini heater if possible. Otherwise right now you need to be doing water changes at least 100% every other day or so for that small of a container. There are a lot of 1 gals that are cheap with a small light, and the mini heaters tend to run cheap as well. It will make a difference in your fish's life and possibly save his life.
It sounds as if he is suffering from cold and ammonia build up from not enough water changes. If you start seeing him roll to his side, it's due to the shock from the fluctuating water temp with the lamp. Good luck, I hope you can do something for him soon, keep us updated on him.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #6 
person

:( i didnt know that turning the light on and off could cause him stress. Ill start cleaning his water more. Its hard to tell with him because he is lightly colored and dosn't show stress lines. His fins are still clamped up but he has bin blowing lots of bubbles and he looks happier. I think ill get him the one gallon and a lil heater. He hasnt bin on his side tho. and i dont think i let the water get drty enugh fo him go be in shock from amonia.

Off subject question: Can bettas eyes change color as they become fully grown? because i destinctively remember him having bright blue eyes when i first got him. he was very small. a little too small to be in a pet store come to think of it. Now his eyes are bright orange and black. should this be cause for concern?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #7 
bahamut285

He'll definitely be much happier in a heated 1 gallon :)

I'm not sure about eyes changing colour. Just keep an eye on it anyway.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #8 
person

I think i did something wrong. I did the full water change and put him back in the bowl but about an hour later he was at the bottom breathing really heavy. So i took him out and QTed him in a container with water from the filtered tank. after that he stopped breathing heavy. I dont know what was wrong with the water. it was the right temp and i followed the directions on the chemicals to clean it, and i didnt do anything different then i usually do. I think something i used might have expiered. But I did find A one gallon tank with a light. I hope he will be happy in there. Ill put him in as soon as i figure out what went wrong with the water.