Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #1 
Newtonbetta

Fish take a few min to "wake up"

I've noticed that one of my betta fish definitely take a few minutes to really wake up. If its dark and then I turn the aquarium light on in the AM, the fish will take a little bit to start moving. And even then he's a zombie for a few minutes. I dropped a piece of food in front of him and he didn't even acknowledge it.

After 5-10 minutes he acts normally, eating readily.
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #2 
Echo

oh yup! that's Simon! even if he does acknowledge his food, he sometimes spits it out cos he's too sleepy to register "chew.. food.. swallow.."
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #3 
Myates

I usually turn on the room lights first for a while before turning on the lights for the tanks as to not scare them/stress them. One of mine sleeps with his front half inside of a cave, leaving the back half and tail out. Guess he doesn't like to be woken up too early either lol.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #4 
Silverfang

noticed that if he was fed late, like later than he was used to, oh say after 10, he wouldn't register that food was by his nose, or if it would even bump him in the nose. Just let sleeping bettas lie.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Ohh my Spartan is a late riser. xDD Maine is up and ready the second he detects my movement... Madame too, and Crayola... The four other females, Voldemort, and Spartan are so slow to wake up LOL.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #6 
brownmane

I do not turn on my aquarium light until 9:00-10:00 am. The room then has some natural light and the sudden lighting of the aquarium does not shock my fish. Think of times when you have someone turn on a light in a dark room when you have been sleeping. It is nicer for the fish if you can give them kind of like a sunrise as Myates does. This also goes for nighttime too. I turn off the aquarium light, but leave the room light on for 10-20 minutes so that they can adjust to the lighting, before I turn off the light entirely for the night. It startles them less, is more natural, and stresses them less.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmane View Post
I do not turn on my aquarium light until 9:00-10:00 am. The room then has some natural light and the sudden lighting of the aquarium does not shock my fish. Think of times when you have someone turn on a light in a dark room when you have been sleeping. It is nicer for the fish if you can give them kind of like a sunrise as Myates does. This also goes for nighttime too. I turn off the aquarium light, but leave the room light on for 10-20 minutes so that they can adjust to the lighting, before I turn off the light entirely for the night. It startles them less, is more natural, and stresses them less.
That's the same as I do. actually sometimes I almost forget to turn the aquarium light on o_O I'll leave the room light on, and come back, and go "oh yeah... the lights should be turned on..." but my sorority still are late risers :p noonish... lol. worse than my boyfriend..
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #8 
CrowntailTwitchy57

if bettas had a snooze button...
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #9 
Echo

i still get giggles from this.. i had little sherry glasses in Elvis' tank. he would sleep in one of 'em, all curled up like a cat.. when he first started doing this, i never knew how fish "slept" so i thought he was dead, and boy did i freak! i tapped the side of the tank, i tapped harder, i banged on it and *ZZIPP!* up Elvis flew like a shot of lead from a rifle! poor guy knocked his little noggin on the lid of the tank so hard it moved sideways (it was just one of the cheap sit-on-top clear plastic covers). his poor little eyes crossed and he just floated there.. i felt so bad..
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #10 
Ajones108

If I try to feed my bettas too early, they will ignore the food. lol
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote