Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #1 
betaguy

Exclamation Help me

My beta fish is acting up, first time owner and ive had him for a year. recently hes been going up to the top for air a whole lot at what i calll top speed. seems freaked out
doing what i said or lays at the bottum, just started the other day. was using normal tap water and callled petsmart and they said i needed to dechlorinate the water, i did so last night and there is no change. is there something else that I should try?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

Hi betaguy, I'm sorry your fish isn't feeling well.

Please fill out and many of these questions as possible so we can get a better idea of what's going on.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #3 
betaguy

Please fill out and many of these questions as possible so we can get a better idea of what's going on.
which question? are his gills permanetly damaged, assuming that is what is wrong with him.are does makeing the change now help? here we've been in the 90s and today and yesterday the temperatures have been around 50 outside. I did everything in line with care of tank and feeding, just the water be chlorinated was never mentioned to me. he's never made the bubbles some of you are talking about that is supposed to mean he is happy. never been much of an active guy. feed him probably 10 pellets a day, sounds like more than is suggested by the people on this site. just doing what petsmart told me
Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #4 
betaguy

oh ya and he is also not eating.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #5 
Myates

Welcome to the forums. The questions she posted underneath her post. Here are some simpler ones that will help cut to the chase since I don't think you test the water, etc.

What size tank is he in?
How often do you change his water, and what %?

We can start with those.
First rule of thumb when owning a betta.. don't listen to Petsmart or Petco employees.. they know the basics of general fish care, but normally not specifics.
Bettas need a variety of food, pellets and high protein flakes are the bases, frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp are really healthy for them as well. Since you have pellets, the best feeding would be 2-3 pellets in the morning, 2-3 pellets in the evening. If you are home during the day, instead of the 3rd pellets on other feedings, you can feed 1-2 during the day. Over feeding can cause Swim Bladder Disorder which will make it so he can't swim or stay upright. It will also lead to constipation and other such ailments. Pretty much, it will hurt him and he may not be eating all 10, in which case the waste will be dirtying up the water.

He may have ammonia burning, which is caused by build up in your tank. Only way to prevent is weekly water changes and using the dechlorinator, which you now have.

Fluctuations in temperature that happen rapidly or even semi quickly will cause him to go into shock. A heater would help, a mini would be fine if he is in a 1-3 gal.

It sounds like it could be a combination of a few things, so once we establish your water cleaning schedule, and a new feeding schedule, we should see an improvement if it isn't anything internal. His not eating could be a result of the temp, or ammonia or because naturally, bettas in the wild will fast so they can digest their food.. he may just be not wanting to eat to clear up his system.

Good luck to you and your little guy.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #6 
betaguy

now the questions are there... 1. Lee's large betta keeper (no size). 2. the water has been out for 1 week before i change the water, room tomerature, our ac is at 76. 3. no filter 4. holes in the lid 5. not heated 6. no tank mates 7. top fin's betta bits 8. once a day 10 bits. 9. once every 3 weeks about. 10. I perform a complete water change (the old water is dirty i believe) 11. i havent been adding additives until the other day when i added 2.5ml of top fin betta water conditioner. 12. I have not tester my water(missouri is supposed to have some of the best tap water). 13. He is not colorful. hes belly seems transparent. 14. he was lazy now hes stresssed. 15. i noticed mid day yesterday. 16. 17. 18. he was an adult when i bought him and have approximately had him 1 year
Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #7 
Myates

I know the keeper, it's a good size, I am thinking 1-2gal. You will want to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week, using the additive. If you can buy a thermometer, you will be able to keep an eye on the temp, and if needed, can use towels and/or move the tank to a warmer location in the house to keep him warm. But it's always idea to have a heater. The mini's range in the $12 dept.

The drop in temp, the new change to the water, being bloated could cause his coloring to fade. The transparent stomach.. do you mean it turned a lighter brown-ish copper color? If so, that could be a sign of eating too much.

Don't feed him for the next two days, do the weekly water changes and see if you can get his temp up to 76-82* that would be idea. If you can post pictures, that will help varify that it is something due to water quality and temp rather then parasitic or virus.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #8 
betaguy

i only added 2.5ml, it said 5ml for every gallon, should i add more? i thought it looked more like a half gallon, ill try to post some pics.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #9 
youlovegnats

10 pellets sounds like a lot to me! He might be lethargic from his cold water or having his water changed once every 3 weeks (which isn't good). Those betta keepers are .5 gals.... ><'
You need to be doing at least 100% every other day with those. I recommend upgrading him to at least a 1-2 gal tank. The users on here recommend 2.5, but I know some people can't afford it. He'll also need a heater. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #10 
Myates

Woops, looked it up, the Lee's. For some reason was thinking a kritter keeper, which the large is 1+ gals. Yeah, definitely what Gnats said.. 100% every other day would be idea.. you are doing the right dosage for a half gallon. Walmart sells gallons with a lid and light for $10-12. Would make a big difference.

What area in MO? From the temps it sounds like the southern part.

Tags
sick betta