Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #11 
Banicks

Mistress those kits are just expensive versions of fine grit sandpaper and cutting compound :)

I did advise to be wary of how to clean afterwards, I think it may be necessary to use that bleach cleaning method and then clean again to remove the bleach. Not 100% sure as both methods may leave trace toxic elements.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #12 
HatsuneMiku

ooo !! =)

what's cutting compound?

i recently saw a kit at petco .. but it was just sandpaper and some oil thing that you could use with your fish still in the water .. duno how safe that is @_@ .. cus i imagine your scraping off acrylic to make it smooth ..

but after having both acrylic and glass tanks .. i think i prefer glass better .. acrylic is soo nice when you first get it .. but becomes very dull after a short time .. and all those scratches D=
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:58 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Before spending money, start off by trying toothpaste, rouge, face makeup, corn starch, chalk....any of that slurried in baby oil or water. Try hard texture cloths with that; finish with soft.

Failing that, try SimiChrome polish, available at any motorcycle shop, most auto parts stores, etc. They may also have plastic rubbing compounds and polishes made for plastics.

Rubbing alcohol will remove any trace of anything without leaving toxic residue.

In my opinion, if your tank is scratched so badly that it takes sandpaper to fix it, replace it or learn to live with it. Unless you have the professional products and procedures (like the guys on TANKED) working acrylic is a frustrating and stressfull undertaking.

The above is what I know from first-hand experience. Google Wiki-HOW and about.com for further advice.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote