Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 
Smokey65662

Update on the ultimate sorority project

Ok so a week or so ago I posted a thread on here about my plans to make an ultimate betta sorority. Well I have officially dove into it (at least financially) so I know over the next 2 moths this project WILL be coming together :) I visited Petco yesterday just by habit of looking, which if your like me isnt a good idea since I always walk out with something...lol Anyway they were having their Dollar a gallon sale on glass fish tanks made by Aqueon. This was the first time I have ever experienced this sale. Long story short I brought home a 40 Gallon breeder (the largest I could fit on my stand that wasnt obnoxiously tall) and a 20 gallon long. I filled both up for water to test for leaks and it looks like we are good :) Also I got talked into getting a 24w uv sterilizer. We will see how that works out. The first thing I plan to do is to go to home depot and get some acrylic sheets, or plexiglass (ive been told both will work for the 20 long) to make the baffles for the sump. The only thing I have set in stone as far as filter media is that the first chamber will be filled with k1 filter media and moved via an air pump. Thats really it for now. I will update once I get the stuff to build the sump, and or I get the sump built :P
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #2 
iloveengl

lol I just saw/commented in the first thread! Yay for progress!

Do you have a pic of the stand and new tank?
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

I think I have a 40 for my bearded dragon, nice size tank. I wish they had those sales here lol Can't wait for pics!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #4 
Smokey65662

Here is the 20 long being tested for leaks.

Here is the stand it will be going on. This thing is seriously heavy duty. It was given to me by my aunt. Its not something im used to seeing. Im used to seeing stuff made out of particle board, and plastic....no, this beast is SOLID wood (heavy too) and is supported by 6 solid steel beams.
Dont mind the computers....thats another long time hobby of mine :P

Heres the underside where the sump will be placed....its going to be a pita getting it in there though....

Also here is the reason its going to take so long to get set up....I have to wait for this to be put down. We just got it, and it has to "acclimate" for 2 weeks before it can be put down.

Heres the UV sterilizer I got.

And finally heres my 10 gallon with my two fishies in it :D
Niki is the girl (left) and Jeffrey is the male (right)
Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #5 
iloveengl

That's a great stand. Honestly, my favorite stands have always been solid oak buffets that I picked up at thrifstores and such. That solid office and dining furniture can be way stronger and more stylish than a lot of the tank stands for sale.

I've never used a sterilizer before. What's their purpose? Do they replace water changes, or prevent bacteria or algae or something?
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

What's the measurements on the 40g? I thought I had one, but mine would.never fit on that table lol Mines 48" long. I'm so confuzzled now. Love the stand though!!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #7 
Smokey65662

Here is the 40 gallon breeder. I had to re-size it before I could upload to imageshack.

And the UV sterilizer basically uses UV light (emits radiation at a certain frequency) to disassemble the dna and rna of many common bacterias, and parasites (basically many of the things that make fish sick). They arnt very commonly used on freshwater tanks, which imo is because 1, freshwater is easier to keep clean and 2 the majority of people who do freshwater like to keep it simple. I on the other hand enjoy a challenge xD so I got one so see how well it works :)
Old 09-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #8 
Smokey65662

Idk if you can see the dimensions in the photo or not..if not ill go and look for you.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Ohh ok, mine must be a 40g long, cause mine is 4ft long lol That's shaped like my 29g but bigger. Still an amazing tank and price, jealous!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #10 
Smokey65662

Yeah, petco had the 1 dollar a gallon sale. I think it goes on until the 19th.

Tags
betta, sorority female community, sump, tank build