Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #91 
NoahG

Nice -- I'm in college too, but most of the rest of my time (and energy) is taken up by work. I'm planning to get my tank and set it up and running this week (hopefully Wednesday) and finally put all of this research to action. That'll be my fun hobby for a while.

I'm recovering from something I developed just before the weekend myself, so I can commiserate. Good luck with meeting your deadline!
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #92 
Smokey65662

Ok everybody. The time has come for me to finally fire this bad boy up and see how it works. Today the Rena air pump came in along with the third heater and the two filters for the overflow starter pumps. I got two lids for the overflow boxes and made a lid for the 40 gallon tank out of thin plexi glass. So far I like it but I dont know what im going to do as far as lighting is concerned so we will see. I still have to cut some more plexiglass and tinker with some things to really get it working correctly but for now im really pleased. Its all working as planed and is cycling water amazingly :) There are a few things that I messed up as far as sump design is concerned but they are not detrimental to the function of the system. I will explain all of this later when I got more time. For now though I have lots of pictures :)

Sorry, this one is a little random. It was something that came in through newegg that I accidentally uploaded.

Thats it for now. Im quite busy with finals this and next week so sorry if theres a lack of information. I hope everybody likes it as much as I do and if you have any questions feel free to ask :)
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #93 
Anitax3x

Wow. Puts my 40 to shame. Are you an engineering major?
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #94 
Edifiler

WOW 40$ for a 40g? That is a price i'll die for. Here in Perth, all the tanks are all expensive ._. A tank less than 10G is around 40-60$ ._.
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #95 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
Wow. Puts my 40 to shame. Are you an engineering major?
No. I just have a liking for tinkering with things. Im currently going to school for something in computers.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #96 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifiler View Post
WOW 40$ for a 40g? That is a price i'll die for. Here in Perth, all the tanks are all expensive ._. A tank less than 10G is around 40-60$ ._.
I got lucky and got it on sale. A dollar a gallon. There isnt any sales like that there?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #97 
Edifiler

Nope petstores here in Australia never have sales, and are really expensive ._.
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #98 
Smokey65662

A quick update to anybody who is interested.
I Had to go out and get a one way valve for the return pump. As soon as I would turn off the system the water would vigorously siphon back through the return water bar and overfill the sump. Luckly I caught this and lifted the bar out of the water to stop the siphon. I went to the Lowes in town and got me a 1/2 inch copper one way flapper that I hooked in line to the return water bar. It is basically just a little flapper that opens to let the water flow by up to the return bar but as soon as the water tries to siphon back the flapper closes and seals off the return so it cant siphon back. Now that I got that installed I can run it 24/7 no worries of any major problem. I can say that using a sump system filters like no other. The water got quite cloudy over the few days it was stagnant but as soon as I ran the system for 24 hours it was and still is crystal clear. I filled the K1 chamber up a few days ago with about 10L of the stuff and about 3/4 of it is moving around as it should (looks really neat too). I still need to get a hood for the display and cut the plexi for the sump so I dont keep loosing so much water due to evaporation. So far so good :) Just need to find some ammonia so I can start fishless cycling.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #99 
Reece

I have evaporation issues too. I lose about half a centimetre per day :L lol
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #100 
lulupie

loooks amazing , cant wait to see how it looks like :D
lulupie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, sorority female community, sump, tank build