Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #101 
Smokey65662

There probably wont be any more updates. Ive lost almost all interest in fish keeping for the time being. Sorry guys :/
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #102 
Anitax3x

Aww man ! I was really looking forward to seeing how it came out :(
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #103 
NoahG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
Aww man ! I was really looking forward to seeing how it came out :(
Man, same here. Ah well, no sense in pursuing something you're not interested in.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #104 
Smokey65662

I will finish it one day....its just going to be a while. Im focusing on school and a few other things. maybe once summer comes around ill get it finished.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #105 
Smokey65662

Almost one month later and I think im ready to continue on and get this thing done with :P (Sort of tired of looking at a bare tank anyway).
So a couple of things:
1. The tank has been "running" for 3+ months or so with no issues concerning the design as far as I can tell. AKA: So far no water on the floor.
2. Initially, when I went to begin fishless cycling I put WAY too much ammonia in the tank. It was so high that it was enough to keep the process from really starting to begin with. So after a 20 or so gallon water change and close to 1 1/2 months the ammonia finally went down to zero. So I brought it back up to ~3 ppm using about 7-9 drops of ACE hardwares pure ammonia. Be careful, the fumes of this stuff are enough to make you ill.
3. 2 of the 3 150w Aqueon Pro heaters are not working properly. Sometimes they work and other times the light goes out and it stops working completely. Tried contacting Aqueon, but im doubtful thats going to be resolved quickly. Since they were bought online a while back not really sure what im going to do as far as the heaters are concerned. One 150w heater is enough to keep it at 84 degrees when the house is warm, but as soon as the AC kicks on or the temp drops on a cold night it struggles to keep up.
4. I ordered a hood online for the display. Should be here next week sometime.
5. Built a light under the display to light the sump using a DC adapter, and a strip of white LED'S. I have it hooked up on a switch, which is convenient. It looks pretty ghetto but it works magnificently :)
6. Went out and bought a nice dremel tool a few weeks ago to make cutting the plexi glass a LOTTT easier.
7. I went by petco today and bought a little 4 inch gold ribbon. I am going to see how I stand when it comes to growing live plants. Test tank will be the 10 gallon with the two girls in it :) Any tips on the live plants would be awesome.

Thats pretty much all I can think of. I am ready to get the 40 Gallon stocked with fish so I can actually feel like all the electricity, and time its using is worthwhile :P

Almost forgot.....I liked the RENA air pump that I bought for the sump so much that I bought a Rena 300 for the 10 gallons bio reactor. The one I have now is just ungodly noisy. I can stand it, but I would rather a Rena after hearing the other one I have. Ill post my thoughts once it gets here for anybody who is interested :)
Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #106 
kfryman

Yay I am glad it is back up! For live plants light is the most important thing. Then comes nutrients, some plants feed mostly from the roots and some only get a tad from the roots. Swords and crypts are heavy root feeders.

What kind of substrate are you using anyway?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #107 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Yay I am glad it is back up! For live plants light is the most important thing. Then comes nutrients, some plants feed mostly from the roots and some only get a tad from the roots. Swords and crypts are heavy root feeders.

What kind of substrate are you using anyway?
Standard black sand. I used to use gravel, but I couldn't stand how the waste and stuff got stuck in between the pebbles. Is sand alright? lol Also the light will be provided by 20-30% sun, and the rest the fluorescent light in the hood :)
Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #108 
Zero186

My experience is in reef tanks but I would assume that sand creates a better environment for the bio cycles in the tank than pebbles would.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, sorority female community, sump, tank build