Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #21 
Smokey65662

UPDATE: Ok, so today I had a major financial set back :( I was about to scrap this whole project completely seeing as I am a full time college student and paying for school is more important. Luckily my girlfriend (trumpet4life375) was kind enough to offer to pay for the rest :))) I dont like taking money from anybody, but this will be hers as well so its all fine. I ordered A pump, two overflow boxes, and the biological media I will be using today.
Pump:http://www.amazon.com/SUP-MAG-DRIVE-.../dp/B001D11NBA
Overflow box:http://www.amazon.com/CPR-Aquatics-C.../ref=pd_sbs_k3
Filter media:http://www.columbiawatergardens.com/...ox_p/k125l.htm

I chose the pump based on many other enthusiast reviews on the web of this pump. Also I wanted a pump that would turn over the tank 10x an hour (or close to it). The overflows are rated at 300gph a piece, so I got two of them to put on both sides of the tank for a combined 600gph drain into the sump. In general you want your overflows to handle more water than what your pump pumps out. The mag 7 can push 700gph but thats with no head height. By the time it pumps up to the tank its more like 560gph. I will have a ball valve on both inlets and outlet to control flow as needed JIC. I also got a 25L box of K1. I read that this stuff is the best filter media money can buy when it concerns biological filtration so I went with that. The 25L box may be a little more than needed but it was the easiest to get like that in the US, also I can use it in my GF's tank, and my 10 gallon :) I will do my best to upload some photos in the next few minutes. Let me know what you guys think :)
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #22 
Smokey65662

This is the plexi I am using

This is the silicone:

And this would be the tool used to cut the plexi:
Old 09-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #23 
TequilatheBetta

glad your girlfriend is footing the bill :) are you gonna do two sororities with the tanks? or use the other tank for something else?
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #24 
Aquarianblue

I am very impressed! Keep up all the good work, yeah?
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #25 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilatheBetta View Post
glad your girlfriend is footing the bill :) are you gonna do two sororities with the tanks? or use the other tank for something else?
The 20 gallon tank is going to be the sump, while the 40 gallon is going to
be the display tank. Yeah im glad she is too...but ive gotten her lots of stuff before, so this is nice for a change :)
Old 09-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #26 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarianblue View Post
I am very impressed! Keep up all the good work, yeah?
I sure will. I might make some cuts tomorrow :)
Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #27 
iloveengl

This is a great thread. Your pics and details are very helpful.

Good luck on the cutting today.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #28 
Smokey65662

UPDATE: So today my girlfriend came over and we worked on cutting the plexi for the sump together....just me just say I have cut plexi before but boy did i forget how mad it seems to make me. Word of advice if you are not a patient person then dont even attempt it...I was spewing out profanity like there was no tomorrow....but in the end I would say it turned out decently. There was one piece that is slightly cracked, but its at the top where it shouldn't really come into contact anyway, and I don't want to waste that stuff....its too expensive. The only thing I have left to do is cut some one inch pieces to hold up the lid above the K1 media and my mechanical/chemical filtration. Thats tomorrows project though, and once those are cut I will commence putting everything into place with the silicone :) I will be uploading pics here shortly, and I think tomorrow im going to make a video and put it on youtube. I haven't done that in a while and I think most people would like to "see" the sump (and my dirty floor xD) in a more....lively fashion, if that makes sense to anybody lol.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #29 
Smokey65662

The victim :)

Here is the T-Square I used. This is the tool used to hold a streight line for you to cut against.

I got distracted and took pictures out the window xD Somebody might think it looks nice lol.

Vice grips. Good tool to use to hold the T-Square onto the plexi for you. Also good for helping break off the stubborn pieces of plexi.

I just used an old washcloth to protect the plexi when I clamped the T-Square to it.

T-Square clamped to the plexi.

I just put the cut pieces in there to make sure they all at least fit alright, which after some sanding with a belt sander they did :)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #30 
Aquarianblue

This should be stickied. for no other reason then to allow other members wishing to do the same thing/similar setup, but never knew how to do this themselves. I find this very helpful, and easy and fun to read along with. Thanks for putting in the work for us. We all enjoy it.
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, sorority female community, sump, tank build