Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #81 
Smokey65662

Im thinking 70 bucks. I might go lower but I need the money just as bad as every other poor college kid xD These things sell for 150 bucks at the store.
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #82 
Anitax3x

I'd do 70 if it came with a hood and filter or something. Cuz right now petco is selling dollar per gallon. But thanks anyways :) I understand the feeling as I am also in college :) haha
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #83 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
I'd do 70 if it came with a hood and filter or something. Cuz right now petco is selling dollar per gallon. But thanks anyways :) I understand the feeling as I am also in college :) haha
I thought the dollar per gallon thing was over.....I got my tanks a dollar per gallon a month ago, and at my store they arnt doing it any longer :/
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #84 
Smokey65662

Hey everyone :D
I know it has been a while, but I wanted to post the updates to the project. It never stopped but had to be put on hold thanks to house renovations going on atm. Now that my room is done I can finish up the project and get it going again. I have had both tanks full of water for weeks w/ no leeks what-so-ever, so im confident that we are set as far as that goes. I went out with my gf and pick out some plants, and decorations for the display tank which IMO looks great. It's nothing spectacular, but it sure looks nice to me. I am going to add some more plants just in case you were wondering. This is just the start. I have two water pumps to keep the siphon going on my overflow's. I still have to cut the plexi for the sump (the platforms) and I have to go and get some hardware to plum this baby up. I should be ready to turn it on and start pushing water within the next week or so. Ill be sure to keep everybody updated :)

The room just to see the change.

The 10 gallon. They got some fresh sand in place of pebbles and a clean tank :)

The aqua pumps for the overflows.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #85 
Greenfish

it looks really nice :)
Greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #86 
Anitax3x

This is amazing. I really wish I could be this creative!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #87 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
This is amazing. I really wish I could be this creative!

I feel like I could be more creative, but I simply dont have the time to do so lol. Once built a door alarm out of an old answering machine, some wires, and a 9V battery if that counts for anything xD
Gotta admit, most of the layout of the tank is due to my Gf. Shes the one who drew it up :)
Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #88 
Smokey65662

Ok so tonight I spent maybe four or so hours plumbing the tank and the sump together. Not too difficult, just time consuming. In the end I am VERY happy with how it turned out and Im proud of my skills enough to show you guys just how it went :D (Please note this wasn't the first time Ive worked with PVC, so I didn't find it as difficult as some might have).

Alright, so lets see if we can make something useful out of all these parts :)

Where the pipe coming from the overflows needed to go under the furniture to the sump I decided to use two 45 degree bends to make the transition a little smoother to help baffle water noise and to generally help water flow. I assembled them first and this is what I got.

First one is almost done!

Now the second one is done :)

This is where the two water pipes meet over the K1 media reactor (or for better words, where the water comes in). I staggered there points of entry to provide better coverage over the soon to be pre-filter media and grate.

Setup is starting to come together.

Now we have the 1/2 inch pipe coming from the pump.

Picture of the almost completed project.

Good sump shot.

And finally this is the "water bar". Basically this is where the return water will expel. I used a coping saw to makes tons of slots (pain in the butt) for the water to come out in a even flow. The purpose is to try and reduce the pressure of the water flowing out at one spot as to avoid blowing the fishies all over the place.

Thats it for tonight. I am going to make the "slots" in the return water bar wider tomorrow and then sand it to remove any burrs. After that its down to the small things like cutting more plexi (ughhhh) and spending yet more money on stuff :/ O well, its all in the name of fish right? :)

Last edited by Smokey65662; 11-18-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #89 
NoahG

This is really neat, especially the way you're presenting it. I haven't looked much into sumps, but I spent last night reading this all the same (it could well come in handy for me some day) and decided to subscribe over breakfast. Eager to see how it turns out!

You've done a nice job with it -- and from what I can see of the floor, you've done a nice job there as well, haha. I'm assuming you did the floor yourself as well?
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #90 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahG View Post
This is really neat, especially the way you're presenting it. I haven't looked much into sumps, but I spent last night reading this all the same (it could well come in handy for me some day) and decided to subscribe over breakfast. Eager to see how it turns out!

You've done a nice job with it -- and from what I can see of the floor, you've done a nice job there as well, haha. I'm assuming you did the floor yourself as well?
Me and dad did the floor. Im just an 18 year old college student keeping my mind active with fun hobbies :) Ive been sick this past weekend but I plan to have it up and running hopefully by the end of the week.

Tags
betta, sorority female community, sump, tank build