Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #1 
teasell

Can a Male betta split it's tail fins with over flaring

Hi I have had my little guy Glost for about 5 or 6 weeks now.

Prrior to my going to pick up my grandkids at school today his tail fin was fine. When I got home anout 2 hours later I checked on him and his tail is split in several areas. He does seem to flare quite a bit. He is a very young Halfmoon and his tail is not huge yet. This does not look like fin rot.

So as soon as I noted this I cupped him and completely cleaned his tank with hot hot water and a bit of vinegar to disinfect in case something is going on.

He's back in his 5 gallon tank. I use Prime. Would it help if I used Stress coat?? I was a day or two late with his water change could this have been areason for this.

I will try and get a picture of what his tail fin looks like later or tomorrow....Thanks
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #2 
iloveengl

The best cure for a torn fin is clean water. Maintain water changes and the fins will heal quickly.

I doubt they can tear from flaring, but they can certainly tear if their is anything pokey or spikey in the tank, such as plastic plants or decor.

A good way to check the decor is to run a pantyhose over it. If the pantyhose snags, then you know his tail will.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #3 
teasell

No fake plants or decor other then aquarium gravel. Does not look like fin rot at all but I did do a complete water change and some disinfection with vinegar just in case. Would it help if I put some Stress Coat in there?

He had a tear in his bottom fin when I got him which is almost all healed. I sure hope this isn't going to be a thing with him with tears and stuff. He's such a pretty thing.....
Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #4 
iloveengl

huh. I'm sorry, I can't comment on the Stresscoat, as I've never used it. I wonder what the heck he tore his fin on.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #5 
teasell

Tomorrow I wil get my camera out and take some picture of the damge to the tail fin. He stretches that tailfin flaring, it's a sort of constant thing with him.

Thang goodness he is still eating and swimming happily. He's a pretty boy and it's to bad this had to happen to him...
I wonder if I should be doing more water changes and whether they should be full (100%) or a partial of 50%
Old 09-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #6 
Indyfishy

Bettas actually can "blow out" fins from flaring. Is he able to see his own reflection in the tank walls??? Check and make sure that all your plants and decor in his tank are smooth, betta fins can easily catch on anything rough or pokey. Stresscoat would be an awesome thing to add to his water, it greatly aids in fin regrowth. Just keep the water nice and clean to ward off any infection and he should be just fine =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #7 
teasell

Thanks Indyfishy. I think that may just be what happened. I have one live plant and aquarium gravel everything is smooth. How much of the stress coat should I add. I'll be doing more water changes this week. he's a young guy who likes to show off.

I just added him to my avatar. The picture was taken when I got him home and he was still in his small little petSmart cup. He had a tear in his bottom fin, don't knw the proper name, luckily it's almost 100% healed and almost back to what it should look like. It's amazing how much they change in such a short time. Now I want a fancy halfmoon as Ghost probably will never have the finnage of what I covet. LOL
Old 09-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #8 
Indyfishy

Sounds like he's just been over flaring himself, can he see his reflection in the tank walls??? If he has a tank light, it might be best to keep it off for awhile until he gets out of this monster flaring phase lol. If his tank is brighter than the room around him, then he can see his reflection. My halfmoon flares at himself all day long too X_X. Read the directions carefully on the stresscoat bottle, they should tell you how much to add in =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #9 
teasell

Thanks Indyfishy. I just bought a new florescent bulb for his tank and it is brighter in the tank then the room I will try to lessen the light problem and maybe do something to the back and side like one of those clingabletank scenes. Another trip to Petco for me I guess. Wil read the Stresscoat bottle in the AM when I can think better. It's 2:25 AM here in NC and almost time for bed....
Old 09-16-2011, 02:34 AM   #10 
Luimeril

Cup used to do that all the time. it got to the point where i stopped freaking out when a betta ripped or bit their fins! why doesn't he have decor other than gravel? he may be flaring because he's scared of what may be there.

Cup did it so much, i gave up getting him to stop, and just kept his water clean all the time. x: he actually ended up with weak fins, because of all the ripping and healing. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote