Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #1 
xXbrokencrownXx

So I found an extrodinary tank today...

It had a bright red betta male, a lot of little silver fish, and 4 FEMALE BETTAS.

Everyone was getting along really well! it was actually surprising! I really want to get girls now for my Suzu :) they were all just swimming together and chilling! I took pictures on my phone, and i'll try putting it up here soon!

P.S. this was at a local petclub!
xXbrokencrownXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

I think 95% of members here will advice you against it, as males can kill females and visa versa. Not something worth risking imho. The only time I have seen this done was when its siblings who grow up together and come from mild genes. Seiko scary.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Yeah... I don't think they were really getting along. Probably just waiting to snap.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #4 
Banicks

I have read about some breeders in Singapore who just leave an entire spawn together from fry to maturity. Varied success of course.

My bad LFS keeps females together with Tetras, but no males. Only the other day he was asking me if I wanted a couple of betta females to put into my 6g. Quote:

"Oh he'll chase and nip them around like any guy going after a girl, but they'll settle down and learn to live together. You may even end up with some babies if you're lucky"

I took that with a grain of salt, as this is the same LFS who has a divided trough tank full of male Bettas, covered with ick. I can't say with certaintly that it may not be possible, or for how long - but most advise against it to err on caution.

I can't disagree with erring on caution :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #5 
xXbrokencrownXx

well yea, im not going to put like 4 girls in with my one betta, but they were getting along from what I saw. none of the girls had stress stripes and the male was just floating around. I'm just thinking about different things to do with my tank since I'm cycling it right now.
xXbrokencrownXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #6 
GreenTea

They can get along for months but unless they are siblings, from what I have read and heard from members here, they always eventually kill each other.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #7 
Aquarianblue

I like the idea of a male betta, living in a female sorority. lushly planted, pristine waters, and little dancing rainbows. too good to be true? yeah. I like the idea, and all, but I wouldn't do it. The male will kill the girls. I just hope my upcoming sorority goes well. As long as there are caves, and plants the females will be fine, right?
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

I kinda wonder what happens when they run into another betta in the wild? Do they just swim away or do they fight?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:21 AM   #9 
GreenTea

Well usually bettas were in rice paddies in the wild, some of which are acres upon acres. They could avoid one another and set up their own territories, and when another betta entered that territory they were able to defend it, maybe fight for a few moments, but as with most territorial animals, adequate displays of power, bluffing, and minimal fighting usually establishes who is boss in the area.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #10 
Kytkattin

To expand on what GreenTea is talking about, this is why sibling tanks can sometimes work. They grow up in this community. It would be foolish and impossible among fish that have probably been cupped since they were practically free swimming. There are certain rules they would have to learn, that they really couldn't living in isolation.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
male and girls together!