Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #1 
ninjaofthe9seas

Exclamation What IS that?!

So... Once again I'm getting strange ish algae kinda stuff in my tank. Before it gets really bad I've decided to come here for help to see what you guys say. Right now its only on my Amazon Swords, probably because my little snail does an AMAZING job at keeping the walls clean. Pictures of the algae stuff:
ninjaofthe9seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #2 
ninjaofthe9seas

Also, if anyone has any idea what kind of snail i have please tell me. lol. :3 Oh he also doesnt have a name yet so, if you wanna shoot me some ideas it would be appreciated. XD
Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #3 
ninjaofthe9seas

bump :/
Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #4 
Princess Penny

I'm not really sure but I used to have Amazon Swords and they would sometimes start looking like that. Not sure if it's actually algae or maybe just the leaves dying, its hard to tell from the pics. I would probably just trim off the affected leaves.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #5 
dragonflie

The snail looks like a zebra nerite, and would also explain his stellar job in keeping your tank walls clean. Nerite snails are amazing algae eaters. There are two reasons he might not touch the leaves of your plants.

First; if it is cyanobacteria. I cannot tell from the picture, but if it is NOT raised, and more like a slimy sheet, that could be what it is. Since it is a bacteria and not a true algae, the snail wouldn't be eating it.

Second...he just might be a bit too heavy for those leaves. ;) If the algae is kinda furry looking it might be beard algae. I've seen similar in my own tank long ago, but the algae I had was completely devoured in mere days, by a siamese algae eater I had at the time.

For a more sure identification I'd recommend checking this site with the attached pictures. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_...ater_algae.php
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #6 
ninjaofthe9seas

Ok thank you thank you. :3 It doesnt look as much like when i had cynobacteria months ago, but I'm paranoid now. :X
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #7 
Dozzem

I love your snail! I would called it Mush or Goon :3 random I know
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #8 
iloveengl

Definitely a zebra nerite. He's gorgeous! The petco near me just started selling the zebras and tire track nerites. I'm hoping they get the horned nerites in eventually - soooo cool.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #9 
ninjaofthe9seas

Ok with the help on this thread and the other, i think we have officially dubbed it as cyanobacteria... :( Idk why i keep getting it. :/
Love my snail. He actually crawled into the filter last night bcause he at all the other algae on the tank XD