Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2011, 03:53 AM   #11 
Tikibirds

poor guy :(
My sister had a white goldfish that she got with SBD, his was genetic. He would float upside down like he was dead then all of a sudden he would start swimming sideways. Im surprised he lived as long as he did since she only changed the water "when it got dirty" and there were 4 gold fish living in her tank.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #12 
Sakura8

Hatsune, I did what Luimeril told me. I ran the bag under the faucet so it was wet and then draped it over a corner of his tank so it makes a little canopy. He loves it, the crazy guy.

Tiki, aww. Those fancy goldfish are so prone to SBD problems. Pretty fish but prone to problems.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #13 
earthworm88

Hi Sakura,
Sorry to hear your new guy isn't improving with Epsom salt so far. As fightergirl suggested, do the ES for the full 14 days while observing if there are other changes and try to smell his water before you change it to see if it smells "bad/weird". I suspect this may be a chronic case looking at the SB, dorsal fin and he appears to be older.

I would consider treating him with antibiotics if you want to make sure his SBD is not caused by bacterial infection. Also, try to fast him up to 4-5 days to see if him swimming down is easier. I hope he will improve and swim normal.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:00 AM   #14 
fightergirl2710

Earthworm's become a pro at dealing with SBD issues now! Hows your floaty boy doing earthworm?
Sakura, I have to agree about the medicines. If his swim bladder is affected it might be good to give him some meds..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #15 
HatsuneMiku

how often do you re-wet the sandwich bag? .. does it dry out? .. right now he's managed to wedge himself under an IAL .. and i'm worried he might drown if the leaf is what's holding him down .. which is kinda what it looks like @_@ .. maybe i should take that leaf out
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #16 
earthworm88

Hey Fightergirl,
After trying everything, I had come up with the diagnosis of SBD due to bad genetics His growth is stunted and he doesn't heal well like my other one, other than that, he seems fine overall.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #17 
fightergirl2710

That sucks, but as long as he's healthy otherwise, its all good.. Poor guy.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #18 
CoverMeInClay

Sorry about you baby Sakura. I'll be thinking of him. Hope he gets better.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #19 
Pitluvs

I had to leave Hughie in epsom salt (1tsp/gal) for 10 days, he had sbd as bad as this guy. Actually Hughie was floating upside down. I'd suggest lowering his water to a few inches, and continue with your epsom salt for 4 days then feed live/frozen food twice a day, small amounts and take him out of the salt when he's able to swim. That fixed Hughie right up, although we'be had sbd show up a few times with him. He's our bubble boy.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #20 
Luimeril

the baggie shouldn't dry out, since half of it's on top of the water. Cup used to bubble nest under his after he felt better, so i kept it in his tank until it was time to change the water.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote