Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #31 
SassyBetta

did you get him use to the temp of the new water first befor moving him? if you didnt and just tossed him in a nice heated tank from a cold one it would have stressed him, or so im told. :) i hope he gets better soon hes very purdy
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #32 
Sakura8

Sassy, thanks for the get well thoughts. I did acclimate him but he was already floating when I bought him; actually that's kind of why I got him because I felt so sorry for him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #33 
SVC

I had to lol at the names! I like Admiral Floaty McFloatsalot too! You could initialize (yeah I know that is not a word in the context I mean it) him like I did to PTG. You could call him AFM. Then again, you wouldn't be embarrassed to use his full name. It reeks of rank! I, on the other hand am a bit weary of referring to my male betta as Princess The Goldie. lmao Somehow the initials give him a bit more dignity.

Hope the little guy gets his act together soon and is able to swim well again. I sure know that pitifully comical scenario of them trying to dive and then bobbing back up!
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #34 
McMarvel

My baby has been doing the exact same side floaty, unable to swim to the bottom thing (I already have a thread going, but I figured it might be good to post in here too because you guys seem really knowledgeable.)

I know I should try Epsom salts, but I have a question. I am already treating Azazel for ich with AQ salt. Is it safe to treat for both at the same time?
McMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #35 
Sakura8

McMarvel, how long have you been treating Azazel for ich and did the floaty thing start happening while he had ich or did he have it before? Is he eating okay? I'm curious to know because if he's almost finished with his ich treatment, I would hold off on the epsom salt until he's done. Then give him two days with just fresh clean water before starting 3 tsps of epsom salt. I don't think you can mix the two salts.

SVC: Haha! Well, since Admiral Floaty has been consistently refusing food for the last week, he's been temporarily demoted to Ensign. He's still floating despite being on his 3rd day of General Cure treatment so I'm beginning to think he has a genetic SBD problem. If that's the case, I will divide a 5g with a low water level and put my handicap betta on one side and AFM on the other since neither can handle high water levels. Would make water changes so much easier (Scooter's in a 1.75g tank filled with only 1g). And yes, I like PTG better too. Has a nice ring to it.

Last edited by Sakura8; 09-21-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #36 
McMarvel

I have been treating Azazel for ich for three days. During his sick period he would sometimes float on his side on the top, but it wasn't until today he started having floaty problems. It's been two days and he refuses to eat. His ich is not improving at all and his fins are becoming ragged, there are also chunks missing out of his tail that I think he bit off.

So if I can't start the Epsom salts yet, what else can I add to the AQ salt to treat with?

If you have other general questions about my tank and such, my main thread with my Azazel concerns is called "That's Ichy!" There are also pictures in an album on my profile.
McMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #37 
Sakura8

McMarvel, I'll head over to your thread then and see if I can help you out.