Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #1 
TielBird101

Critter Keeper?

I'm thinking about getting a betta but I wanted to do my research first so here I am. :) I was reading on this forum that some people use critter keepers. Do they work well as temporary homes?
Oh yeah and how many gallons does the large one hold? (Of the critter keeper)

What about this tank too? Would it work well?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...291&lmdn=Brand

I'm still not sure if I will get one but I'm looking for the all the info and help I can get. :)

Thanks!

Last edited by TielBird101; 09-16-2011 at 01:46 PM.
TielBird101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #2 
quyllur

I think when most people are talking about kritter keepers they're referring to something like this:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752730

Lots of people use these as permanent homes, the medium is roughly 3 gallons, the large roughly 5 gallons, which is a nice sized home for your average single betta. Of course you'd have to add a heater, probably a 25w. You can add a filter with a soft water flow or up your water changes.

Lots of people use these very successfully!
quyllur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #3 
TielBird101

Okey dokey! Thanks! :)
oh and another question, Are gravel vacuums a must?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #4 
Laki

The first pic there, the picture makes it look awesome but I have one currently and it is only 1 gal. 1 gal is okay but not ideal for permanent keeping. Also, you will probably have to remove the bubbler tube since it irritates the top of the water constantly and, I found at least, covered the whole surface of water with bubbles in which Lakitu lost his food :/ I pulled it out. Now all I'm waiting for is to get out to get a larger Kritter Keeper (the second link posted). They are easy to keep and provide room for Mr Fish.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #5 
Laki

Those vacuum's are used in larger tanks. 5+ gals. A smaller tank can be dumped while cleaning. I mean, I'm sure you can find small ones to suck stuff out of the gravel but you'll end up having to still do frequent water changes anyway so I don't see the need for them. 1 betta won't make that much mess anyway if you're scooping out what he doesn't eat at mealtime.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #6 
Luimeril

i heard the large won't hold it's weight in water. i use the Mediums myself. they're really roomy, and you can really plant them up and have small caves and such. :3 here's a picture of one of mine. it was when Dante lived in it, back when he was still alive...

pardon the mess. x: all that's my "Entertaining Dante" items. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #7 
TielBird101

LOL! Okay thank you all for your help!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #8 
Silverfang

I'm pretty sure a roughly 2gal one wouldn't need a vacuum. In one about that size you scoop out half the water and replace with fresh treated water once a week, and once a week you remove him and replace all the water. I use glass marbles/stones, so I just dump them into a pasta strainer (used only for this). And rinse out the poo.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

I use glass stones in my tanks too, once a week I do 50% water change and once a week I do 100% water change and clean out the whole tank. I have the first one posted, its not that big sadly.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

A gravel siphon isn't a must if you don't plan on filtering the critter keeper...But you will need to do 100% water changes and rinse the gravel if you plan to not filter the critter keeper. water changes depend on the size. anthing 2+ gallons should be fine with 2 water changes weekly. one 50% and then one 100%. I think critter keepers make really nice permanent betta homes as long as they are big enough and heated. I have my one guy in a 3 gallon critter keeper (I believe it was the large, though I could be wrong. I bought it at petco) I eventually put a filter in my 3 gallon critter keeper so I don't have to do 100% water changes anymore...My guy is a tail-biter and 100% water changes really stressed him out. Here is a picture of my critter keeper:

(nevermind the water lines..haha...This was took before water change)
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote