Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #1 
Hikari

Does anyone else have this problem?

The top where there is no water keeps fogging up on my tank. It's not the entire surface, only the walls of the tank. I'm guessing the heater is causing water vapor to collect on the tank walls at the surface. I opened as many hatches and holes as possible and it's still doing it. My fish isn't in this tank right now, but will he get enough oxygen if it's steaming up like that? Is there any way to stop it from happening?

The basement does have high humidity, but we have a dehumidifier running down here. I don't really think that would cause a problem if the tank lid is closed anyway.
Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #2 
Leeniex

One of mine does this too and it's in my living room. Never thought it was a problem????
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #3 
Hikari

I've just read on a site that it's because the air outside is colder than the heated tank, and that's why it fogs up. It's like a foggy film and looks kind of weird. I've never had a lid on my tank before, so I wasn't sure if this is normal or not. I was hoping it would just evaporate, but it looks like it'll always do this. As long as it doesn't hurt my fish, I can live with it. It's just the top part after all, the rest of the tank is nice and clear.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

I think it's normal. You want the air on the surface of your tank to be humid anyway for the betta's labyrinth organ. That way they don't get temp shock from breathing in chilly dry air when they surface.
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #5 
Hikari

That's true. If the whole top of the tank was steamy I would be a lot more worried, but since it's just along the walls, I don't think any oxygen is being lost or anything like that.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #6 
alysalouise

Ya pretty sure its normal, my tanks do it too if i have a lid on them (even with openings)
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #7 
Hikari

Glad to know this isn't just happening in my tank. I was seriously stressing about it yesterday, but I realize now I was just being a worrywart like I am with everthing that has to do with my pets! :)
Old 09-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #8 
N03113

It's like reverse condensation... when you have a can of cold soda, water collects on the outside of the can because the air outside is warmer. In this case,your tank should be a nice 78-80 degrees... if it's cooler outside the tank, condensation will collect on the glass/acryllic side of the tank. Venting will not reduce this much. I never found it to be an issue with my tank.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote