Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Question Ok, once and for all, what the heck is a king betta?!

So Petco sells these king bettas, and I've heard several different opinions on what they are. I've heard that they are just regular sized fighting type plakats. I've heard that they are some form of giant betta. I've even heard that they are just regular plakats, and that there's no difference between them and other bettas X_X What's the truth?? They certainly look alot bigger than any betta I've ever seen.

Also, what size tank does one of these need??? I don't plan on getting one, but just in case I was to fall in love with one, I would want to know how to take care of it properly
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #2 
Vaughan06

I don't know what is different about them. I just call them fat and ugly every time I see one
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Well they are certainly bigger. They are not true giants, I don't think. They don't get big enough. But I have heard that they do best in 10 gallons. All to themselves. It probably depends on their size. But if you ever get one, expect that at some point you will have to put them in a 10 gallon. Not sure how much they might grow after you get one.
They probably live shorter lives than the smaller fish. Though how much, I don't know. Kind of like how bigger dogs don't live as long as smaller ones. More strain on organs and such.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Kings are half giants. they do need a larger tank, at lest 5 gallons in my opinion once they reach their full size.

Also, they tend to be more susceptible to stress and illness. Out of the 4 that I've gotten (albiet from Walmart) 3 have dropsied and died. Only 1 survived but was later killed by my mother's cat.

They do best with live foods since for whatever reason their stomachs and intestines seem to be somewhat fragile, but I think soaking pellets would work out just the same. I also recommend soaking their food in garlic all of the time to keep their immune system boosted as a precaution.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Agree to the health issues...all large bettas I've had from WalMart and PetCo have gotten dropsy. And compared to real giants...they're like baby guppies compared to a shark ;) Bigger yes...giants...definitely not.

Can we please get a sticky on this topic? Everytime I'm on someone is asking this question.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote