Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #1 
Carsomane

Tips for getting a new betta to eat?

It's been years since I've brought a new betta home so I don't remember if there's any special tricks to get a betta to understand that I'm bringing food or how many days of no eating should be a concern to me. It's been 2 days, at first I tried some flakes but they sank to the bottom and were all highly not recommended everywhere I read. A lot of people say Hikari Bio-Gold is great and gave their bettas long happy lives in addition to great care so I thought I'd try that since it's a pellet and won't sink or make a mess. He is still not responding to the food even though I am shaking the food package/showing it to him before the feeding and making sure he sees it go into the aquarium. He even goes up for air but ignores the pellets. It might be a little soon to be worried but I am, it'd make me so sad to bring home my new friend and have him pass on from not accepting any of the food. ): Any suggestions and how much time should I give him to adjust before really becoming alarmed? Thank you for reading.
Carsomane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #2 
Dozzem

Welcome to the site!I had to soak the pellats ( i have Hikari Bio-Gold) in garlic juice today because my Poni didn't want to eat and he needs to. If you can crush up a garlic peace and let that soak in tank water for a while, then when it smells strong, drain out the liquid in a small cup or somthing and soak the pellate in there for a few menits. Take it out and place it in the tank. If the pellate looks to big for your betta, cut it up :D

Your betta should eat it now, they seem to like garlic! Keep me posted!

Last edited by Dozzem; 09-18-2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: derp
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:52 AM   #3 
Dozzem

I also found this! ( I asked how to do the garlic juice before I did it my own way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
first peal the raw garlic and take a clove from it .. then put it on a small plate or saucer plate .. and then take something that's flat (i would use another small plate that could fully press down on it) .. then slowly press down on the clove till it releases a few drops of juice .. then put the betta food in this juice that comes out for about 3-4 mins or till you can see the pellets have absorbed the garlic juice .. then try to introduce it to your betta ..

or .. if your not able to extract enough garlic from the raw garlic .. they do sell garlic juice at the market .. but just make sure it's pure garlic juice with no extra additives .. and you can soak in that as well =)

good luck !! and keep us posted !!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Well for me I never used any tricks. I had one betta refusing to eat for a good two weeks - but he was sick to begin with. Another ate after a week, one the same day, another a few days after. Spartan ate rigt away, Admiral ate 2 weeks later, Colors ate 1 week after, Madame ate right away, Voldemort hasn't eaten in two days, Rose finally ate a little, Marge ate right away, Tina ate a day after, and Zebra ate right away.

I think it depends on the betta o.O I usually let them wait it out until they are hungry and decide they want to eat.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #5 
EverythingNice55

Welcome to the forum! Well, when I first got my betta Mr Jingles, I noticed he wasn't eating much, either. But, when he gets used to his home, he will eat, I assure you! You probably shouldn't feed your newer betta fish a lot right away, let him get used to his home! Good luck!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #6 
Carsomane

Looks like he finally felt comfy enough to eat 3 pellets this afternoon, hoping he keeps it up. He even followed one around as it floated at the top and then snatched it up, couldn't help but hum the Jaws theme. ;)
Carsomane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #7 
Dozzem

:D That is awesome