Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #1 
Loralyn94

Exclamation Red Streaks? Help!

So I noticed these streaks on my boy Dark Knight the other day, but thought that he might have just ripped his fin or something, then tonight after doing his water change i saw that they had spread. I have no idea what they are and what should be done about them. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Housing
What size is your tank? (about) .5g
What temperature is your tank? 74
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari gold betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice daily.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? red streaks around his tail going into his body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none, still active, eating, and happy.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week ago I saw the first small line, tonight i saw they had spread.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, not sure how to treat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know him, came home from the pet store a weak ago.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, had him home for a week.

Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Hmmmm i really don't see anything wrong with him.... It's probably just his natural coloring coming through. You've only had him for a week, and when a betta comes home from the store, in it's first week or two it will gain ALOT of color. He's a very pretty boy, i really like him =) As long as he's acting normal he is probably fine! As a side note, you may want to think about upgrading his home whenever you can, a half gallon is pretty small. But it looks like you're doing all the necessary water changes, so for now he should be fine =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #3 
Loralyn94

Heres another pic that shows the streaks better:

Those pictures were horrible, he's actually a blackish grey color so the red is easier to see, just not in the pictures.

Indy, thanks, though those pictures were horrible, he's actually a blackish grey color so the red is easier to see, just not in the pictures. Thats what makes me think its not just coloring coming in.

I should have mentioned that the .5g is temporary, its his QT until i am sure that theres no issues with him coming home from the store. He'll be moving into a 5g soon.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

I still don't really see anything alarming =/ If it was septicemia or something like it, there would be very dramatic, bloody red streaks all over him. I honestly think they might just be veins showing through, or a new color coming in. Keep an eye on him, watch for any behavioral changes, but I'm about 97.5% sure that he's just fine =)
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #5 
Loralyn94

Alright, that sounds likely. I just wasnt sure what septicemia looked like. I had a terrible time with my last little guy and trying to keep him well (he came home with rot and then all hell broke lose with anything and everything :/). Guess that experience has made me a little over cautious with my new ones.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

Aww it's no problem, I know exactly how you feel. I lost my original two males within a week of a eachother (one of them wasn't even two years old yet) and ever since I've been pretty cautious with my guy and girl. I watch them pretty obsessively for any signs of disease haha! I think your guy looks really healthy and happy, I love his coloring!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #7 
Loralyn94

Thanks! I saw him in the pet store and my original plan to JUST LOOK went out the window. He was the only one with that coloring, I was insanely excited.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #8 
metalbetta

Haha my orange boy has one big red streak that goes down the center of his body and I was scared about the same thing. It doesn't look like anything to worry about. Cute fish though!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
red streaks, seoticemia, septicimia