Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #1 
spriken

Red face Ever see a digging betta??

Well I haven't till now my bot spirit has been digging in one corner for the last few days.
I had to move a rock near that corner cause I was afraid it would roll on him.
I've checked hes got no gold spots or anything that looks itchy.
I don't see any trapped food.........So what on earth is he doing.
Other than digging to china for rice patties I haven't got a clue.
spriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #2 
Loralyn94

i had a guy that would do that! He'd just start reorganizing his gravel for me and nothing that would suggest any need to rub up against the rocks. He'd dig himself a little hole then rest in it.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #3 
metalbetta

Sometimes uneaten food will fall to the bottom and they will "hunt" for it at the bottom, especially if they smell it. My sorority used to literally pile on top of each other at the bottom of the tank in order to dig out anything they may have missed during feeding time. It's a pretty funny behavior, I must say.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #4 
Indyfishy

I can do you one better, I had a TUNNELING betta XD when I brought Vincent home, I had him in a tank with these plastic gem stones as substrate, and I had them stacked up almost 2 inches high in there. They were really light, and he figured out that he could basically push them apart and go hide UNDER the substrate. One time, i couldn't find him, and I was panicking, so i rapped the glass really hard to see if he was just hidden really well behind a plant or something, and all of a sudden there was this great disturbance in the stones and he flew out from underneath!!!! It was hilarious and kinda scary, I ended up moving those stones out because I was afraid he would get stuck in there and not be able to reach the surface XP
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

One of my boys likes to bury himself in my christmas moss... He is just so curious. I think he thinks it is a game. Likes to pretend he is Harry Potter trying to escape Devil's Snare.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #6 
metalbetta

I have a betta that likes to scare the heck out of me too. with a similar method. I made him a little cave for him to sleep in, you know, specifically for him to hide/nap in. BUT, he ALSO has a skull in his tank that I usually would prop up in the corner. He used to bury himself under it it, upside down behind it, vertically behind it, he'd pretty much smush himself in there, and it looked incredibly uncomfortable, but he always managed to make his way out of it. ...Weird fish.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #7 
spriken

Glad mines not the only one.It's so funny to watch him go tail straight up so he can get a good look at his excavation,than go right back to work.
spriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #8 
missm83

my boy moves his gravel around! 1st time i herd it i was like what the *****lol then i seen him do it, i cant believe that little thing can move gravel its the size of his head! but hes def looking for food he missed the 1st time around ... it seems like hes always hungry!
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #9 
cjayBetta

My Windu does that too... I always think hes scratching but he isnt. I salt treated him the first time lmao then after MONTHS of him doing it i figured he was just hunting for fallen food.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

Yep that's Kai alrighty. He's a hoarder...He hides his extra food in the gravel and when he wants a snack he'll dig...And he headbutts the plastic gems....No I've seen him swim next to it and then start ramming his head against it and managing to move it a little.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote