Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #11 
kumi

I'm pretty sure that Harlequin Rasboras do well with bettas. Try searching on Rasboras--use the advanced search and limit it to the "compatibility" sub-forum for confirmation. Also check Corydoras pygmaeus. It's more of a mid-level swimmer than a bottom dweller so would be different from the other cories you are getting. Also look at Danio margaritatus, also known as Celestial Pearl Danios. They are quite different from zebra danios and I think somebody here has some.

And don't dismiss the amano shrimp! I also really like nerite snails. They cannot reproduce in freshwater, so they don't over populate, but they do sometimes leave eggs on the glass.

Check http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/in...ates-msjinkzd/. She's got a lot of these species for sale and has an excellent reputation. She has some rasbora species that are more interesting than the harlequins (I feel disloyal to my harlequin rasobra), but they are a bit smaller, so I don't know if they are compatible with betta. If you are interested, ask her and she might know. You'll have fun looking in any case.

One thing to remember is that the platies will have lots of babies! The betta will also eat a lot of the fry, but if you have a lot of plants, some will likely grow up. If you want to be able to keep some of the babies, leave room when you stock the tank!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

I have celestial pearl danios, they are a smaller fish that does well in groups of 6 or more. They grow to be 1-1.5", smallest fish I have LOL They are great additions to a 10g tank.

Here's a pic of one of mine with a Glowlight male...

And a crud video taken from my comp with my phone...

Last edited by Pitluvs; 09-18-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #13 
Anitax3x

do your betta eat them? I'm afraid to add them and have them get picked off lol
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #14 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I have celestial pearl danios, they are a smaller fish that does well in groups of 6 or more. They grow to be 1-1.5", smallest fish I have LOL They are great additions to a 10g tank.
Are they in with a betta? All going well?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

Mine are not with a betta but they are with a gourami and surviving well. You would need to add any fish first before adding a betta, my gourami was added to this tank last. I'm not sure how common these fish are though, you can buy them in stores here. I had to have mine shipped to me from a breeder. They are mid to botom dwellers, or at least mine are LOL

I would think it would be no different than small Tetras except these danios won't fin nip. They are small fast schooling fish after all and my gourami looks like godzilla to them.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 09-18-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #16 
Anitax3x

where do you guys get the celestial danios? I don't see them in petco or petsmart
Old 09-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #17 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
where do you guys get the celestial danios? I don't see them in petco or petsmart
The same seller that I listed before has them as well, or at least she does sometimes. I used to be very hesitant to "mail order" fish and invertebrates, but then I realized that they were being shipped to the fish stores and probably not under as good circumstances. You should read up about quarantining, however, no matter where you get your fish from. I regretted it when I did not QT new fish (some more harlequin rasbora from my local fish store).

Kumi
Old 09-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #18 
Anitax3x

what about glolight tetra and glofish? can I do those?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #19 
Anitax3x

oh yeah I konw how THAT goes. But I have a tank witha filter for qt :)
Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #20 
Pitluvs

We have some fish in common ;) I have rasboras too.

You probably won't finds them in fish stores, they're a new breed of fish only found in the last few years. Google them, they're interesting. I got mine cause I needed Danios, and didn't realise they were a completely different fish than the zebra danios... So I had to set up a new tank haha