Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #11 
omgitslph

He's pooping clear with brown flecks in it. My dad told me he didn't eat much during the week. Just 1 pellet and some daphnia. Maybe it's worms? I'm moving him up to 2/1 epsom salt so i don't freak him out too much for now as I wait responses. I might call an emergency vet about that medicine soon. :(
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #12 
DarkMoon17

That sounds like parasites, which is actually good news. You can use API General Cure... much easier than finding a vet open on a Sunday. Up the Epsom to 3tsp/gal after the next water change. Don't worry, Epsom won't stress him like Aquarium Salt does. Continue with Epsom Salt, 100% daily water changes and increased temp at around 84*F. Do both treatments of General Cure. Do a 100% water change in his main tank, or treat him in his main tank in order to kill the parasites that are in the tank. Good luck and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #13 
omgitslph

Oh okay! :) Went out and bought some before the store closed. Much cheaper than the $107 vet bill I was debating on racking up. He's due for a water change soon so I'll add everything in after dinner and keep you posted. After reading the box for Gen Cure I wouldn't be surprised if it was a tape worm. He's always been bloated and way smaller than all of my betta fish (and he's the oldest). Makes sense to me, but then again I'm just going by what a box is telling me. heh Thank you for the help! I'll make sure to keep this updated. Poor Lando needs to not get sick all of the time. :(
Old 09-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #14 
fightergirl2710

Best of luck with Lando! Hope he gets better soon! :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #15 
omgitslph

I ran out of epsom salt last night (just had enough for 1/1) so I just added another 1/1 to his tank just now so he's at 2/1 gal since he started bloating a bit more. He's been pooping furiously since I added the medicine. It's been clear with brown/red. The brown/red is what I saw in his body I think (which made me think septicemia since it looked like veins). So I'm guessing worm for sure. I'm commuting to school instead of staying at my apartment so I can do the water change for his medicine tomorrow night. Thank you all for the well wishes. He isn't giving up just yet. He's maintained color and an appetite for. He was a bit sluggish today, but that was probably because he started to bloat a bit more compared to last night. I have high hopes of him making it.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #16 
omgitslph

He's a bit lethargic today, but still eating. He's having the longest poop of his life (clear and red/brown still and just never breaks off of him). Is there anything else I can be doing to speed up the process/make it easier on him. This seems to be one hell of a worm. :(
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #17 
Pataflafla

If you can get him to flare or swim around a little bit that might help. Since he's so lethargic it will probably be difficult, however.

I would just leave him to his own devices for pooping other than the epsom salt and let him relax as best he can.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #18 
omgitslph

I could float my other betta, Jace the Sea Sculptor in his tank for a bit, which is what I used to do when he needed to poop. Would trying to feed Jungle anti-parasite food help, or just add too much medicine in the water?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #19 
Pataflafla

I've been told a few times to feed a fish those while on parasite medication so that they're getting the medication internally as well. the only problem I had was getting them to actually eat the medicated pellets, but you could try soaking them in garlic too. That should make them seem tastier and also give his immune system a boost.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #20 
DarkMoon17

You can do it either way since it is pretty hard to overmedicate Metronidazole, but you can just feed him some very tiny pieces of garlic 1-2 times per day. That is a good natural method that will be softer on his digestive tract. Garlic is a natural anti-parasitic. Hopefully he will get over this soon, it sounds like he has one nasty infestation. Good luck!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote