Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #21 
omgitslph

He wasn't eating last night. I think he took a bit of daphnia, but thats it. I'm going back home tonight to do a 25% water change of his water like the box tells me to (probably do 100% then mix the correct dosage). The epsom salt really hasn't debloated him at all either and he's at 3/1 gallon mix. :(
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #22 
omgitslph

Went home and he was chipper but later in the night he was quite tired. Still a fatty, but at some pellets and garlic. He's still pooping out stuff and whatnot.

Now, my question is...according to the box of General Cure his dose is done (finished with a 25% water change). He's still fat and pooping stuff so obviously he isn't better yet. Is it okay to do a 100% water change and start over tomorrow with a new dose when I get home? Or is there something else I should be doing/trying?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #23 
fightergirl2710

Just let him get it all out.. Parasites need a lot of patience.. You should do 100% changes everyday, preferably clean out the container with hot water too.. The parasites that his body expels may not always be dead and could return into his system if they are left in the tank, plus they could lay eggs in the water and the cycle will continue.. If you have gravel, siphon that out too.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #24 
omgitslph

He lives in a 10 gallon tank. That seems a bit insane to do 100% water changes on every single day. :(
Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #25 
fightergirl2710

Maybe you should QT him to a smaller container.. One gallon or less works.. Its easier to handle because you need to do 100% otherwise the whole treatment could be a waste.. Not to mention its easier to dose a smaller tank as well. :)
Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #26 
omgitslph

I kept him in the 10 gal so it was easier to dose since the directions are for 10 gal tanks. I might move him to a 2.5-5 gal so I can keep his tank circulated and heated.

So since his treatment is done do I just do a 100% water change to get rid of the medicine completely or do I just let him sit in a for a few more days? He isn't in a filtered tank.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #27 
fightergirl2710

What I do is remove some of the water everyday (for 2-3 days) and replace with fresh water till all the medicine is out.. You can always do a 100% and acclimate him to it..
Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #28 
omgitslph

I moved Lando to my apartment this week so I can watch him and treat him on my own. He's still eating garlic soaked pellets and chilling in a cup that is floating in a 5.5 gallon tank which is heated to 84 degrees. He gets water changes every 1-2 days with 3:1 epsom salt (I know it should be every 24 hours but with school I can't always get to him :/) He's bloated as all hell still. He keeps pooping stuff out which is the same color of the foreign body I can see in his body. I can post pics after I get out of class if anyone wants. But, what I want to know is what do I do now? I already ran through a dose of General Cure and he just seems to be doing a bit worse since that stopped. He doesn't swim much compared to usual (but then again I wouldn't either if I was bloated and had a foreign body in me). I have a bottle of Jungle Anti-Parasite food I can start him on and I also can order Metronidazole (known as Fish Zole on Amazon) to soak his food in. Am I able to feed both of those to him? 3 days of Jungle food a week for 4 weeks and then do the other 4 days with Metronidazole soaked food? Or should I just do one or the other? If so which one?

I'm not giving up on him, he's had a myriad of problems from the moment I got him (probably including these worms). I just need to know what to get and do.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #29 
Pataflafla

I think your safe to run another dose of general cure now.

Pictures might help us determine if it's a parasite or maybe an abscess that has burst.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #30 
omgitslph

This was about a week ago (sorry i couldnt upload it sooner)

This is him right now

I have no medicine at my apartment and can't get to any until Thursday at the earliest. He's still in 3/1 epsom salt and eats garlic soaked pellets with no problem. Should/Can I bump him up yo 4/1 epsom salt? Him sitting on his side is that saddest thing ever. He isn't pineconing at all, just really bloated.