Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #1 
Anitax3x

Ruby Is not improving :-(

My betta female ruby is really not improving. She's kept in epsom salt soln heated around 82 F . She's sitting on the bottom of her cup. I put her in the tiny cup because I needed to keep her heated and my hospital tanks have no heaters at the moment. So I know it seems mean and I don't like keeping fish in a cup but since she's been in the big tank heated she seems better.And I say that because she had a serious BM that I noticed when I changed her water this morning. but only a little bit. She swims up to get air then sinks back to the bottom. I honestly Don't see her improving I need to know what else can I do .

Edit: she came home from petsmart SUPER constipated with bad sbd. Only difference is last time she couldnt swim down deeper. Now it seems like she cant float. Also She is the only fish in her tank that has become sick. The platies are fine. Same with the cory cats. I'm really sad because I got her to recuperate some what, now she seems to be doing worse again. She sits on her fin its weird (pic to show)
Attached Images

Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #2 
Myates

Keep doing the epsom salt treatment with the 100% water change.. you may not see any improvement for 3+ days. It sometimes takes a while. It sucks, since all you can do is worry =(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

I just wanna see her swimming again like normal :( but thanks I just wanna make sure she isn't dying
Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

If she's having to work to go up you could also lower the water level in the cup a little bit too.

Is this still the 10 gallon? How many platies and cories do you have in it with her?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #5 
Anitax3x

This is my 20 gal. I got another tank. My 10 gal is being divided. At the moment I have 4 platies and 3 cory cats in the 20 gal. She was very much used to them, no stress stripes or flaring. She is my most docile betta and enjoys the community she seems happy eats etc. Just like a couple days ago she started swimming weird and was almost vertical when she came up for air and would hide in one of my big caves all day. I got concerned when she stopped coming up for food. So I qt her in a cup in the big tank with 1tsp epsom salt/1gal water soln. She's in a cup in the big tank so that I can keep her cup heated bc my qt tanks arent heated at the moment and I know that raising the temp a bit would help her insides if there is anything wrong with them. I just don't get whats wrong with her. My other fish arent sick at all, in fact they are all thriving. So I really don't understand whats wrong with her.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Ok. Just wanted to make sure overstocking wasn't an issue. Sounds like you've got a good number in the 20 gallon so I doubt it's that.

Are there any unusual breaks in her color now? I know sometimes with bacterial infections the color will go from normal to a sudden break into a lighter shade.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #7 
Anitax3x

Honestly she's the same aside from the weird swimming and sitting on her tail fin. Her colors aren't pale she isn't pine coming I posted pictures bc I couldn't get why this keeps happening. Ever since I brought her home from petsmart. If it's bacteria I imagined the other fish would have it too. But they're all active and exploring the tank.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

It's almost like she can't float in the water. She sinks like a rock.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #9 
Sakura8

If she has an internal bacterial infection, there's a chance the other fish wouldn't get it unless they ate her waste. Or they may be healthy and resilient. Also, some pet store bettas simply aren't healthy. They sit for an untold time in nasty water in small cups and for some bettas, they just can't overcome those unhealthy conditions even when they get into clean water.

Keep your girl QTed in epsom salt and if she doesn't show any improvement in a day or two more, consider medicating her with either Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite medicated pellets if she eats or Maracyn I and II combined if she won't eat.

Good luck with her and I hope she gets better soon!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #10 
Anitax3x

ok , Tomorrow I'll get those medicated pellets if she doesnt show much improvement by tomorrow. Do you know why she can't float like normal fish?