Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #1 
Osiris355

Feeding Nova.

Nova i have had for 1 and a half weeks and he will not eat. he is happy and healthy making bubble nest but i cant get him to eat. mabey 2 out of 7 days he would eat very little any sugestions? i smash the pebblets he hates flakes and will not eat a blood worm. what do i do i know he can live a 1 week without food but i was wondering if you guys knew anything to make him eat more or show more inerest in food.
Osiris355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

What brand of pellets are you using? They are not all created equally. Same goes with the bloodworm. If it is freeze dried, it is not nearly as delicious as frozen.
If your pellet has a first ingredient that is soy or wheat they probably taste pretty bad.
Thankfully bettas can live at least 2 weeks without food, and if he is acting healthy otherwise, just keep offering food once a day. Eventually he should get hungry enough. If his health starts to deteriorate then please post back.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #3 
Osiris355

they are tetra betta pellets. yes they are freezer dried.
EDIT: the first ingedient is wheat flour. my pet stores have nothing but that food. do you know where else i could get betta food?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #4 
hmckin20

if you can, try to make your way to a petsmart or petco. if not, you can always order the food online.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #5 
Myates

Walmart sells fish food too generally. Also, try using garlic juice.. it's a hunger stimulant for them. Either get the juice from fresh ground cloves, or I believe there is a jar of garlic cloves that has juice in it that you buy in the grocery dept. That may help. Just soak the pellets you want to feed him in some juice for a few seconds then drop the pellets in. Good luck, for such piggies, they can be picky. One of mine only eats pellets, won't touch flakes or blood worms either.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #6 
GreenTea

I wouldn't reccomend buying anything from walmart, they treat their fish and employees horribly. I'd reccomend buying online. I believe Oldfishlady makes her own fish food sometimes? Or at least has a lot of natural and probably inexpensive ideas. I feed my bettas new life spectrum pellets, which are small, an my bettas love them. There are betta people on aquabid.com who make and sell fish foods as well - live, frozen, and processed.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #7 
Osiris355

i went to petsmart and petco the only food they have is flakes or betta pellets which i have and they are tetra company make. i think i will have to order ofline and if i do what should i get?im also on a tight budget as i dont have a job so i dont want to but something thats supper expensive but i want something that does the job.

Last edited by Osiris355; 09-16-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #8 
BlackberryBetta

You could try Aqueon Betta Pellets. They are recommended by many fish keepers (and myself). They are small enough for the betta to eat. They are usually available at Petsmart, but if not you can check their website which you can order from.
For Canada- www.petsmart.ca
USA- www.petsmart.com
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #9 
Osiris355

i dint see them listed on the website and my stores have nothing but tetra products.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #10 
BlackberryBetta

Really? That is odd. Here is what the aqueon food looks like:

If you can't find it you could also try flake food like this one:

Or you could also try live food like mosquito larvae, bloodworms and baby brine shrimp.
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote