Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #1 
Jbrofish8

I cant believe what I saw at Wal-mart last night...

We were looking in the pet section at wal-mart last night for a dog gate for our kitchen and we just happened to walk past the betta section.

So I did what I always do and look at the bettas. :P

I cannot believe what I saw...

I looked for an empty cup to split these 2 up, but I couldn't find one. I thought maybe some cruel person had thrown them together to watch them kill each other. I felt awful and I didnt know what to do. I'm sure none of the people at walmart really care, anyways.

They had a fish section (I didn't think walmart sold fish anymore) that I looked at too. It was horrendous. There was a spot for all the bettas they didn't have out on display, and looking back I should have emptied out one of the dead bettas and rescued this poor VT from the CT. I just feel awful I didn't save him. =(
Attached Images

Jbrofish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #2 
GrellxUndertaker

Thats just absolutely horrible! Who would do such a thing?!
GrellxUndertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #3 
dragonflie

It was probably some smart alec kid that decided to throw them together for jollies. Sad, but probably true.

I wouldn't assume that all the employees don't care. The company as a whole? Probably not so much, but this is an assumption on my part; because most of their dollars are not going to remotely come from their pet sales.

The best thing to do in a situation like that I believe is to tell management. If you can't find an extra cup; it is likely they probably can. And; no store manager wants to see an unhappy customer, even if their only incentive is that it makes them look bad.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #4 
Jbrofish8

I really regret not doing something about it. I should have at least tried to find someone who worked there to come help me. =(

I thought about buying them. Since the last time I bought a betta from a walmart the cashier didn't even know they sold them..I probably could've got them both for the price of 1. I just didn't have an empty tank or a place to put a new one. :(
Jbrofish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #5 
Gizmothefreaky

You should have put them in the main tanks... I know that walmart usually has a tank of neons and another one of plecos or something equally peaceful... If the condition of the fish is that bad at my walmart i do that and then leave the lids in the sink with a nasty note to the fish people. I cant STAND to see crap like that.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #6 
Myates

That is so sad =(

Reminds me of a few days ago I went on my bi-weekly shopping trip at Walmart (have to drive a good distance to get to one, or any store really for that matter) and I went to look at the bettas since I am trying to find a female. Unfortunately the only other two pet stores that sell bettas don't get females in.. so I'm stuck going to walmart if I want one. They were horrible. Last time I saw their fish... they were decent for their cups. Blue, pretty clean water.. this time.. all they had were females and it was a sad, sad sight. Barely had water, so very dirty, all clamped up. I wanted to yell at someone, ask if it is so hard for someone to spend 10 minutes feeding and changing their water. They just started selling bettas for the first time last month, wouldn't surprise me if there is no one assigned to them since there is barely a pet section as it is.
I would freak if I saw what you saw there and definitely bring it to their attention and see if I could take them and bring them back to health. Poor guys =(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #7 
blueridge

That's really sad :( poor betta's. I went to my local walmart at school here with my room mate last night and as always we have to go see the betta's. A lot of them were in nasty water and there were some that had huge chucks if not all of their fins missing.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

On thursday I went to Walmart and saw that they only had 2 bettas left. The male had fin melt so bad that even his pectorals were melting into spikes and he was incredibly thin and burned. The female had mold growing on the bottom of her cup. She looked like she was getting the beginnings of a fungus infection as well (We couldn't stand getting her because of our luck with half giant females dropsying and then spending $80 to try and save them).

I went to customer service to see if someone could come back so I could point this out and get help, but after 30 minutes no one came. Employees would walk by, look at me, and then keep walking. the morbidly funny thing, was when I was there on sunday, there was a kid bragging about being promoted to fish care at this Walmart and that the old guy was demoted (he actually took care of the fish and was there when you needed help).

So this new kid is bragging about being promoted to fish care, but I can see an immediate decline in care. On top of the horrible betta cups there were the same dead fish in each tank as there was on sunday when I first heard he was promoted.

I complained immediately to the manager as soon as I left the store with the melting male, but he unfortunately didn't even make it home.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #9 
NCPanthersgurl

My Betta addiction has been rubbing off on my boyfriend. I found a mustard gas the other day at walmart that had green lining to his fins and green scales; he's not gonna stay the color that I bought him. But right now he looks brown with an off yellow fin color. Pretty, but there's room for change. I knew he wouldn't sell, he was floating in filth, and barely had any water. So I took him. While all this went on my boyfriend found a fish with less water and more waste...and took and dumped him into one of the main tanks. lol. Whenever I buy a betta from the tanks I take one from the cups and put it where that betta was. Our walmart's pet people don't care, they just tell us to do what we like. So we do. :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #10 
hmckin20

Ugh, our Walmart. Thankfully they only keep one or two bettas at a time.. regardless, all of them in filthy conditions. The other fish are terrible too.. I went in and saw these tropical orange fish.. lying at the bottom of their tank. Like they couldn't get up or swim anymore, but were trying their hardest. :C

And then, yesterday, I went in for a heater.. and I saw this guy pretty much shaking this poor betta in its two inches of water. He then proceeded to flick the cup with his finger as hard as he could. I'm standing there, freaking out.. and he puts it down for a second, and then I swoop in and grab him. Poor guy.. he's been hiding under his leaves ever since I got him home.

People are jerks :I
and Walmart.. is a terrible place for bettas.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote