Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #1 
jpicking1

some questions

hi been a while since i posted you guys helped me about a year ago to setup a 14 gallon tank with a male betta. things been great with the tank my betta is almost a year old now most of the tetra i put in the tank are still alive some glo lights and some black tetra. i had a few neon tetra but they seem to keep getting caught in the filter and dying :/ i guess they are to small i am not sure after 2 deaths liek that i stoped buying them. i just bought me a few bleeding hearts and black skirt tetras. my question is this i know i am at my limit on fish i can add but i saw some realy neat blind cave tetras i never saw before they are albino and have no eyes. i almost bougth them and thought if my betta does become aggrisve to them can they see to get away. did i make the right decsion on not buying them or do you think they would have been alright with the betta? i am realy considering buying a new tank and buying them for the living room i realy liked them. if i start a new tank could i use some of the water from my betta tank to cycle the new tank? would that be better then starting from the begning?
jpicking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome back and good to hear your tank/fish are doing well.... at least most of them....when stocking schooling fish...its best to stay with just two species....add to the species you already have.....

The blind tetras-all fish have a extra sense organ called the Lateral line-it is used somewhat like echo location....I don't know anything about this tetra in regards to meeting their needs....but your 14gal is stocked and I wouldn't add them for that reason-plus-you need to find out what size they get when fully grown and stock/buy the tank to meet full grown size not current size...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #3 
scolfer1103

Ok so here is my question im new here to this site and new to owning a betta, we have a male betta and just bought ourselves a 10gal tank. I was wondering what other fish could we get to go with him? He really needs a playmate. Oh an another thing how do we go about cleaning his tank? Do we empty the whole thing an clean rocks or do we only clean half of it at a time?
scolfer1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:46 AM   #4 
thePWNISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolfer1103 View Post
Ok so here is my question im new here to this site and new to owning a betta, we have a male betta and just bought ourselves a 10gal tank. I was wondering what other fish could we get to go with him? He really needs a playmate. Oh an another thing how do we go about cleaning his tank? Do we empty the whole thing an clean rocks or do we only clean half of it at a time?
cleaning is a bit extreme there are lots of posts in the aquarium care part of the forum that should clear up a lot of questions and bettas in a 10g you have a lot more options than anything smaller so you really are looking for peaceful community fish and usually your limit would be 3-5 of these depending on their size.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote