Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #1 
justemoi

Question 3 girls together...

So, I had an emergency situation... long story... and had to put 3 new girls together in my 5 gallon plant tank yesterday. I floated them for awhile and then put them in together. After 1 small battle, all calmed down. I know that "sororities" should have 4 or more and be in a 10 gallon tank or larger. However, my 3 seem to be getting along, the stress stripes are gone, everyone had a nice breakfast this morning and now the girls are just swimming along together. My question is, can I just leave the 3 girls in the 5 gallon tank together? They seem pretty darn happy. Thanks!
justemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #2 
Kestral

I'm not an expert, but isn't 5 gallons a little small for 3 fish? I think I read somewhere that each fish should have 2.5 gallons... which would mean a 7.5 gallon tank (does that even exist?), which is closest to a 10 gallon.
I guess if they get alone fine...
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #3 
Bresn

Well...that's fine if they don't fight because the space it tight.Kestral I don't think something like that exist.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #4 
TheCrysCat

I wouldn't recommend it. They may not be fighting now, but that could change in the blink of an eye - and it has, to people doing everything right. They had at least 10 gallons, heavily planted, etc, and their fish still ended up fighting. This is not considered a proper setup, so it has an even greater chance of failure. I'd them their own tanks as soon as you can.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #5 
Myates

@ Kestral: The only real recommendation on tank size for a single betta is nothing smaller then a 1gal.. it's that a lot of people think they have to be in 2.5+, which is untrue.

No matter the size of the tank and the amount of girls, there is always a high risk of fighting. It's a risky thing and it doesn't depend just on size of anything. The reason for the recommendation of 5+ is because when they DO fight and chase, there will be more girls all around to take it instead of just one or two who are continuously chased to death. Think of young girls of say, 12 years old... we're best friends today.. oh wait, she has something I want.. I don't like you! Oh hey you want to share? Okay we are best friends again.. back and forth. No matter if they lived happily for 2 years like that, all it takes is just an instant and one is majorly hurt or dead and you will never know the reason. And you'll be sitting there stumped going "Well, they were ok together yesterday".
Sadly, that's the sorority life.. you just never know and it's always a risk. How about dividing the 5 into 3 slots? A little over a gallon each, which is enough space to live comfortably, and yet be safe.
Don't want to sound rude.. but you read/hear a lot of "well they were fine this morning, don't know what happened" stories and having fewer with a smaller tank makes trouble happening greater. =(

Last edited by Myates; 09-19-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #6 
justemoi

Thank you all soooo much for your replies... I moved the girls (with 2 new friends) to my larger tank and provided LOTS of hidey spots for them. We are keeping a close eye on them. So far, so good. Thank you again.
justemoi is offline   Reply With Quote