Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #1 
Eris Harmonia

Tail biting and weird white spots?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75-80 degrees at all times, allowing for slight fluctuations. Usually 78.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, the tank came with one.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None since I took out the moss ball.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin color-enhancing pellets. Recently switched to these, and he lost appetite for the first day of them but is now eating them happily.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily, 1 or 2 pellets each time depending on how hungry he seems.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly, never more than four days apart.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin water conditioner and a drop of Aqueon Betta Plus, in appropriate proportions.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Have not tested water
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Unusual white spots appeared on his head. They are not fuzzy at all, and don't appear to be holes either. He has three currently- one on the top of his head and one on each side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Recently started tailbiting, at least I'm pretty sure it's tailbiting. Rips in tail are consistently very small, with no change in color, heal up completely, then reappear in a day.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? White spots, about 10 minutes ago. Tailbiting, a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatment yet, but he DOES have a water change due to occur today anyways, so advice on what to do differently would be much appreciated.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had Ich when first purchased from pet store. Was easily cured within a week.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I would say a little over a year. I really don't know though. I've had him about a month.

The white spots might be marbling, but I'm asking just to be safe. And the tailbiting luckily isn't terrible. I'm still concerned, though.
Eris Harmonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #2 
Loralyn94

Are the white spots raised? Like grains of sugar or salt stuck to him? And is there anyway that you could post a picture of them? This way people can be sure they are talking about the same thing and can better diagnose whats wrong.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #3 
LaLaLeyla

My betta has random white dots on his head too. They look like scales.. but its just such an unnatural color :S

Maybe its a fungus?
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #4 
Eris Harmonia

I can't take pictures (it's impossible to get one clear enough with how wiggly he is), but the spots don't seem raised, they just look like a few contained patches of scales turned pure white overnight. In addition, they're pretty big (compared to fish size), more like big splotches than specks.

Luckily, they don't look fuzzy at all, or I'd be REALLY worried.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #5 
Silverfang

If the spots aren't fuzzy, or like he was sprinkled with salt, it might just be him marbling. For now keep up with water changes to keep him nipped fins from becoming infected. Depending on how long it's taking his fins to heal/infection you might want to start AQ salt treatment. I'd start out conservatively with increased water changes and watching him for now. If you have any stress coat you can add some of that
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #6 
Eris Harmonia

Okay, thanks.