Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #1 
BlueEyes

Tank of Many Questions

So I was at the flea market with my grandparents last weekend, and some old man was selling this little tank for a dollar. Nothing to lose if it doesn't work out right? Well, I'd still really like it to work out. He told me it was three gallons, but it's not.

It's only 1.5 gallons and whatever filter it came with, is gone. All that's left is a plastic base and a tube coming up from in between the rocks.

It's a little hexagonal tank, and I want to know if it's even worth trying to work with.
BlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #2 
quyllur

Hey if it holds water and your up for the water maintenance, why not?
quyllur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #3 
Banicks

Aslong as you give it a clean scrub out, try it. I recommend filling it up outside and leaving it filled with water for 7 days. It is better to have a leak on your backyard than in your living room.

Anything under 2 US gallons will require daily water changes, and I believe heating may be an issue (I'm attempting to clarify this myself with an eye on a cheap QT tank that is 1 US gallon).

Most will recommend a minimum of 2.5 US gallons, however if worst comes to worst, you have yourself an emergency or QT tank at the very least :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #4 
dragonflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
Aslong as you give it a clean scrub out, try it. I recommend filling it up outside and leaving it filled with water for 7 days. It is better to have a leak on your backyard than in your living room.

Anything under 2 US gallons will require daily water changes, and I believe heating may be an issue (I'm attempting to clarify this myself with an eye on a cheap QT tank that is 1 US gallon).

Most will recommend a minimum of 2.5 US gallons, however if worst comes to worst, you have yourself an emergency or QT tank at the very least :)
Agreed with Banicks.

Just wanted to add, based on your description it sounds like parts of an undergravel filter. I'm not sure I would bother with one on a tank that size, but if you want to filter it...I'm going to take the opportunity to plug for my favorite filter, the sponge filter. ;)
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #5 
Vaughan06

It could be a 3 gallon. If you have to leave an inch of water at the top, it is possible. A 10 gallon holds 8 gallons of water; a 5 gallon holds 4. With that ratio, a 3 gallon will hold about 1.5.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Those kind of finds are the best tanks....lol.....I love to get my tanks at thrift shops......like what has already been posted...if it holds water its great....lol.....

If it has mineral deposits-use vinegar...but first give it a good cleaning with diluted bleach and if it is glass-do a 24h leak test-acrylic-usually don't have seam-so its not needed..but still never hurts.....be sure to rinse well after the bleach before you use vinegar due to chemical reaction issues and use extra dechlorinator on the finale fill before you add the Betta.....

In a 1.5gal unfiltered tank-without live plants-water changes of twice weekly....1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality-provided that you don't overfeed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time....

Look forward to pics......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #7 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post

I'm sorry but that will do more harm then good. One US gallon you should only do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week... anything more you are taking away any good bacteria that is in there and stressing out the fish. Anything unfiltered between 1 and 2.5gal it is recommended for that amount. This is my source, along with many others who swear by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You can have a too clean environment-you have both good and bad pathogens in the tank-by exposing the fish to all the different pathogens enable to fish to develop antibodies- that in turns helps build a strong immune response and limits stress due to too many water changes...its a balance of sorts.....healthy fish need be exposed to pathogens but at the same time maintaining water quality.....make sense......too clean and sterile like environment is not healthy.......
Just rather not put someone, or a fish through 100% daily water changes when it is not needed and will do more bad then good in the long run.

As for heater, there are many out there that are good for 1gals. Like this one =)

It's plastic, so look for scratches on the inside which can hold bacteria, if you don't see any cracks then it should be fine holding water. Wash with real hot water, use white vinegar if you don't feel it's clean enough, just really rinse it well after. Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #8 
Myates

Whoops.. how did I miss OFL's post?? Sorry for doubling it!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #9 
BlueEyes

Can someone verify the statement above about the tank possibly being a three gallon, even though it only holds half that?

And I asked the guy I bought it from if it still held water and he said it did, the only reason he was getting rid of the tank was because his grandkids had fish and then they died so there was no need for the tank.

I'll use that unless I find something better. I've got my eye on a Walmart 5 gallon that's only like twenty six dollars that would be good for a new baby, so we'll see what happens.
BlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

4 of my 8 tanks are new to me and previously loved. Those are the best. My community tanks (all 5) are second hand as well. Best thing to do is post up a picture of the tank, I'm sure someone here has seen it before and knows what size it is :)

Oh and the 1g tank I have holds 1g exactly, I measured it out since I was curious what size it was. Although adding gravel and plants takes away from that.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 09-17-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote