Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Aquarium sealant or some type of glue >.>

I've never used any aquarium sealant before. I was wondering if it was a good idea to use it to coat my betta log- I'm worried about the paint coming off as it seems like it's beginning to do so, and someone said it seems prone to have algae grow on them and fall apart.. I figured a good coating would keep the rest of the paint from coming off and deter any algae from growing on it and hold the pieces together xD... How fast does it dry, anyway? Would I be able to use a paint brush and not have to worry about the bristles hardening too quickly? Also, is there any other kind of sealant stuff I could use that would do what I want it to do and not be harmful to my fish?

Edit: Oh, and I was thinking about getting a suction cup and sticking it on so that the log won't move around as much >.> That seem like an okay idea? My betta really loves the log, but I don't want it to squish him out of no where or fall apart on him, ya know?
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

You must use aquarium sealant. Only the kind they sell at the pet store. But don't use a brush unless you intend to toss it afterward. Sealant sticks to everything and it doesn't come off.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

Alrighty, duly noted ^.^ I've got some extra brushes I can use and I suppose I can start from the inside so it's less likely to stick to everything and the world, let that part dry, and then work on the outside and stick a suction cup on it xD
Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

Sounds good!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #5 
audjree

aquarium sealant should be okay to use for that. (:

i bought a bottle at petsmart for around $6, and i used it for the zoomed leaf hammock. it works pretty well. the instructions say to let it dry for three days, then you can put it back in the tank.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

We use GE Windows and Doors type I for out aquariums, much cheaper. It's 100% silicone, used by most aquarium companies actually just under a diff name.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
We use GE Windows and Doors type I for out aquariums, much cheaper. It's 100% silicone, used by most aquarium companies actually just under a diff name.
Really? Huh.. I just might try it, if I can find some ^.^ Do you know if they sell it at Walmart? If not, there's a Home Depot and Lowe's around here I can go to for such things.. Walmart is just closer and usually cheaper or the same price >.>;
Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

I bought mine at home depot, but you can get it at Walmart. It's GE Windows and Doors TYPE I... do not, I repeat do not get type II. It has anti mold in it. It's a blue container. You need a caulking gun but I got mine for $4. Let it cure for 72 h or until there is no smell. You can Google it and check, many aquarium enthusiasts use it on decorations and resealing tanks. If you feel uneasy about it, there is stuff you can buy at the pet store, its usually $12 ish for a small tube. I also read All Glass is a type of silicone you can use too.

Oh and this GE stuff is cheaper than the type II, only buy clear. I bought the type II the first time and had to return it.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #9 
Draug Isilme

Nah, I'm not worried about it. If you say it's safe for aquariums and fish, I'll take your word for it, as you seem to know about it ^.^ Plus no one on this forum has lead me astray, so I see no reason to doubt. I was hoping someone would be able to come up with something different that was at a good price, and this seems to be it! Especially in comparison to a smaller tube that's apparently $12... doesn't really sound worth it, but that's just my opinion.. I'll definitely look into this, though! Thank you very much!! =^.^=
Old 09-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Always do your own research though, give it a quick Google. What works for one may not work for another LOL I used this stuff because the aquarium stuff was on my 5g that my two first fish died in. I needed to eliminate everything I did with that tank, so the sealant had to go too. Only other option for me is the GE stuff. I believe the new tubes say safe for aquarium on them as well. Some people won't touch anything put petstore sealant but its a personal preference on what you choose to try. Again, look it up and dont base it solely on my word or the cheap factor LOL