Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 
Silverfang

Ph swings in new set up?

I have my tank up and running, lots of plants, silica sand, treated with a dose of fertilizer and stress coat for dechlorination. No fish yet, wanted to make sure the tank was stable first. It looks like my set up is going through some PH swings. I had the water tested on Thurs, right after I finished filling it up and starting the filter. 7.6-7.8 range. Turns out my tap water is about 7.6 ish. Not so bad. Had my water retested today. 6.8 and no buffers (at least I believe that is what she said).

She believes this is just my tank going through it's start up, and will even out after a month or two, but for the mean time to use a PH stabilizer. I piked up neutral regulator by Seachem (yep, their stuff again!). I haven't added it yet, just wanted to see what other folks have to say, or can suggest. I'd rather not go too much into chemically treating my tank if I can avoid it, but realize it may be necessary.

If I do go ahead and add the Ph stabilizer, she said I can look forward to an algae bloom.

Any one out there have any experience with this? Or anything like it.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #2 
Sakura8

I think it may be the sand that is causing your pH to drop. Do you remember what brand of sand you bought? And did you add the fertilizer before or after you had the water tested? Seachem Flourish or a different type?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Had the fertilizer added before, it's tetra, which I found out after might not be the best, so I bought some flourish for next time. The first testing was done after I added the stress coat and fert. No idea on the brand of silica sand, it was brought home in two plai plastic bags, it was sold by the pound. The lady I talked to, is also the betta breeder I plan on buying from. She told me the same thing happened to her when she was setting up her tank. So I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and add the stabilizer for the first month or so until it stabilizes. I know I can get a bristlenose pleco, since anything that adjusts the Ph will add phosphates, which she said will cause algae to grow like mad.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #4 
Sakura8

I think, based on what your breeder friend and the store lady are saying, that your tank is going through its normal process. You could add the stabilizer but I think before you add it, I would wait a few days and test the water again to see if the pH is still fluctuating. If it isn't and it seems like it might be stabilizing on its own, then I wouldn't mess with the chemicals.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote