Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Seachem Flourish Toxcicity?

So I decided to nab a few more plants for my tank while I was out. I also was sold a bottle of Flourish from a lovely sales guy who thought it would help my tank.

Anyway, like my Prime, it comes in a pretty huge bottle that has a rediculiously high dosing rate (1/5 mL capful to 60 gallons). Anyway, I was looking up a good conversion for amount per gallon as I've got a 5 gallon and 10 gallon tank to treat. The first website I come across says in bold it's very toxic, and to avoid contact with skin ect. My bottle is just Flourish, however, not Flourish Excel.

Any input guys?
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #2 
Silverfang

Eep, I just bought a bottle of flourish myself, hope someone can answer and the dosing instructions are annoying
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Don't worry, I overdose heaps with the Seachem fertilisers in my sorority tank because I can't be bothered measuring. Since 90% or more of the product is essentially water, I imagine it would take a lot to actually poison fish.

However, be careful of overdosing Excel. That has been known to have adverse effects on invertebrates and fish.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #4 
elijahfeathers

Well I put some of my Flourish into my tank. I was honestly worried more about ME than the fish-- I figure seachem wouldn't sell it if it killed your fish. :P

I bought myself some swords and stuff for my tank (and a strip light for the 10g along with a plant light) Hoping all goes well. lol
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I read over the label, it says nothing about being toxic. Glad to hear that Little, that's what mine is for. I guess double dose wouldn't be too bad.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahfeathers View Post
Well I put some of my Flourish into my tank. I was honestly worried more about ME than the fish-- I figure seachem wouldn't sell it if it killed your fish. :P

I bought myself some swords and stuff for my tank (and a strip light for the 10g along with a plant light) Hoping all goes well. lol
Haha I bite my nails nearly 24/7 so I've probably ingested Prime, Flourish and probably a plethora of other chemicals. I'm still alive so it can't be that harmful.

The only one I hate using is Seachem Iron. I get that on my cuts sometimes and it stings.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #7 
Micho

Ohh thanks for the info. I was about to buy Flourish around next week and while I pick up fish/live plants.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote