Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #21 
BettaMiah

>.< Yuuki thinks its a friend and Ryu sometimes flares or he just stakes himself.

My Goldfish likes the mirror.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #22 
HatsuneMiku

mr. bubbles is trained to jump .. and he follows the feeding spoon .. and he flares on command when i press my finger against certain places of his tank

none of my other bettas seem to do tricks =(
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #23 
Bresn

Cool!!
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #24 
Betta Monkey

My Bettas and I get a kick from me pointing one finger directly at them and they flare at it My fingertip is about the size of their heads when they flare. :) But only for a second though, because it might freak them out when that finger stays still there like forever.
Betta Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #25 
BettaMiah

Mine learned a new trick! Good boys. Now they like to follow my finger all around. It is pretty fun.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #26 
PaintedOaksOki

How do you teach your betta to flare? I want to teach my betta to flare...
How do you teach your betta to follow your finger, Oki doesnt do that...
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #27 
Myates

It's a natural thing for them to flare.. just put a mirror up next to their tank and they should flare at it. As for following finger.. try holding a piece of food above the water with two fingers and moving it around and see if he will follow it. He may even try to jump for it. But it gets them used to your fingers and not so scared of them.
Two of mine jump for food, teaching another right now. Just wish one of them didn't use their teeth when they go for the food cus it scares me when they get me lol. They all follow my finger, one will have a flaring contest with me when I put my face up to the tank. He always wins. Another will go through a "hoop", pretty much just the plastic from around the cap of a milk jug.. I keep it in there because he is always interested in new things and likes to get into trouble and eventually got used to it so I can hold it in there and he'll go through for food.
Xander is finally starting to jump.. got him to actually jump from a partially tipped cup into the net earlier. Didn't think he would ever do that (they tend to love when I do water changes because I give them extra personal attention when I do it). Don't want him to do it though anymore.. he can hurt himself and he's older then what I thought so that makes me even more nervous when he pulls stunts like that. No more jumping for him! And my new girl will make tight circles and swim round and round a straw and continue circling it as I move it. She's awesome.

Last edited by Myates; 10-08-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #28 
PaintedOaksOki

Finally Oki has satarted flaring at his reflection! He wasn't doing that yesterday! LOL, he's a funny fisheh!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #29 
Myates

hehe great =) Forgot to mention, sometimes they don't do it for a while when you first get them. No Name didn't flare at a mirror or other males until recently when I put a girl's tank next to his lol.. that did the trick
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #30 
PaintedOaksOki

These kids I'm baby sitting wanted to see Oki, so I brought them down, and Oki couldn't decide to look at, back and forth, until he decided he wanted to eat and ignore them! What the character he is!!
When i go down and sit down to watch him, he will swim back and forth in front of me for attention!