Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #1 
TaylorLynne

Howl ate everyone! D:

I have my Betta, Howl, in a ten gallon and used to have 5 neon tetra and 4 cherry shrimp in there as well. Slowly the population started dwindling but I was perplexed because I could never find any dead fish and the shrimp seemed to just disappear. As of today, Howl has eaten everyone! Has anyone else had this happen?

I feel like I'm going to have to get him his own smaller tank and get a new Betta for the ten gallon, and hope that the new Betta doesn't feel the need to eat everything too!
TaylorLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #2 
JKfish

Taylor, that might not be the best idea. Every betta is different, and it's rather difficult to tell how compatible bettas are with their tank mates until they're actually in there with them.

Is there a possiblity the fish were sick and died and *then* Howl ate them? Did you notice any agression on his part towards them at all, or did he ignore them?

Since you have a practically empty tank, you could consider dividing it with another betta, or maybe planting it heavily and getting a few shrimps and snails and seeing how that goes.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #3 
TaylorLynne

I had the tetra and shrimp in while the tank cycled and then added Howl. From the beginning he seemed bent on chasing everything. I'm just reluctant to add more cherry shrimp because they are expensive and he ate the last ones.
TaylorLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:30 AM   #4 
thePWNISHER

get a snail. a big fat one. I don't think Howl will eat him :) or a pet rock.

I guess you may just divide the tank and put a friend on the other side since he apparently does not like to share his personal space.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #5 
EverythingNice55

Hmm... Maybe he's not the right betta to have roommates with...

I suggest that he should have just him and his rocks and his plants and so on, but if you really want him to have other living things in there with him, then yes, you should get a big fat snail!

Try to be more care when choosing other fish and etc. to be with your betta. Make sure you know his personality first! :)
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #6 
cajunamy
Banned

I wouldn't put any roommates in with him again.

And a big snail doesn't always not get eaten - I have had large mystery snails get eaten already.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #7 
CrowntailTwitchy57

get him a moss ball! he won't eat that, and you don't have to feed it!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #8 
Foxell

Yeahh, sounds like he probably shouldn't have any roommates. When Jango got his first roommates he ate 2/3 ghost shrimp and picked at the snails. He left the snail alone quickly though, and decided not to eat the biggest ghost shrimp. He now lives very peacefully with a ghost shrimp, two mystery snails, and a mossball.

Some fish just do better than others with roommates, and it's pretty hard to tell until it's too late! I would also suggest getting a divider and another betta ^^
Foxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #9 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLynne View Post
I had the tetra and shrimp in while the tank cycled and then added Howl. From the beginning he seemed bent on chasing everything. I'm just reluctant to add more cherry shrimp because they are expensive and he ate the last ones.
I wouldn't trust ANY betta with cherry shrimp! Even if he didn't eat them immediately, he likely would decide to go on a hunt at some point. Amano shrimp are bigger. I get critters like that at http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/in...ries-more.html

The only problem is that the shipping can easily be more than what you buying....

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote