Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #1 
Micho

10 gallon companions?

So I bought a 10 gallon today! I was just wondering what type of companions should I throw in with my Betta? The tank will include live plants, also one male Betta, some otocinclus, and some shrimps.

The lady at PetSmart suggested Neon Tetras, and some bottom feeder fish (Cories)?

I was just wondering if there is any other fish that are compatible with my male Betta? And how many fish I should get to avoid overstocking.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #2 
Sakura8

How many otos and shrimp will be in there? Knowing their numbers will help me figure out how many fish you can add.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #3 
thePWNISHER

Well if otos and shrimp are plural then you will be pretty maxed out from them alone. Maybe 1 or 2 more fish but there aren't many smaller fish that don't like to be in groups of less than 4 or 5.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #4 
Micho

Wow seeing how if I add otos and shrimps there won't be any room left for any other fish.

I've heard snails eat algae too? I saw some at PetSmart and they're pretty big too, Nerite snails they were I think? Would those allow more fish in my 10 gallon? Also are shrimps bottom feeders or do they eat algae too? If so, I'll scrap the idea of shrimps and just get snails.

Last edited by Micho; 09-18-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #5 
Sakura8

It depends on how many otos and shrimp. The inch rule is a loose guideline. You also have to take into account territoriality and bioload. If you put, say, 3 otos and 2 shrimp in the 10g with 1 betta, you could safely add 3 cories OR 6 neons. By following the stocking suggestions in several of my aquarium books, I was able to successfully stock my 10g with 10 neons, 4 cories, and 1 betta, with 2 platies to be added soon. This is the stocking list I loosely followed:

101 Best Tropical Fishes by Kathleen Wood
10 gallon Quiet Amazon Pool Stocking List
Top Swimmers: 3 marbled hatchetfish
Midwater Swimmers: 12 neon tetras
Bottom Swimmers: 3 panda corydoras, 1 clown pleco

Your tank really should be cycled before you stock this much though and you need to do 25-40% weekly
water changes.

Here's another 10g stocking list from a different book, Freshwater Aquariums by David Boruchowitz
3 platies
5 zebra danios
2 cherry barbs
3 cory cats

Note that the more herbivore/omnivores you have, the more you can stock because they have a smaller bioload than carnivores.

Last edited by Sakura8; 09-18-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #6 
Micho

Thanks Sakura, I'll take that into consideration. Would the fact that I'm adding in live plants, and a lot of live plants affect on how much I can stock? I plan to have only live plants, and some hiding spots as decor.

I do not know if my tank is cycled or not, since the lady at PetSmart said that using Stability by Seachem will cycle the tank, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Stability, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't really cycle the tank. Best way to tell if it's cycled or not is to test the water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. You should have zero to low ammonia and nitrites and a small amount of nitrates if it's cycled.

And yes, live plants helps considerably because they'll use up some of the ammonia the fish put out as their bioload. Add in only a few fish at a time, wait a week and test the water for an ammonia spike, do a water change, and add in a few more fish etc.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #8 
Micho

Blargh, that means I'll have to cycle my tank then, which I really would not like to do seeing how I've been seeing a lot of threads about the endless cycling of their tanks.

Is it okay if I don't cycle my tank? -lazy- Next week after I'm done with my Stability treatment I'm planning on adding in all the live plants and decor and then adding in fish (Tetras or whatever so they claim it their territory first). I'll have to wait till my algae start to build up first though, or the octos will starve.

Sounds like a good plan or no?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #9 
Sakura8

You can certainly try it but I've heard tetras shouldn't be added to new aquariums. They're supposedly quite sensitive to water chemistry. But you can try. And you don't need to build up algae, necessarily. Just feed the otos sinking algae wafers or blanched veggies.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #10 
Micho

Ohhh I've seen those algae tabs, maybe I'll just get those in the mean time! The reason why I've chose tetras was because they look the pretties with their vibrant colors and all.

Right now I have one Betta, 3 otos (good enough number right)?, and that's basically it on my plans. Did I mention the fact that the tank will be heavily planted? I've heard cories do wonderful with Bettas since they're bottom feeders, dunno if that's true.

Any suggestions or changes that you think I should make?