Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Adding a snail and 4/5 cories is also a good idea. I've heard otos can be very sensitive to water chemistry and also I know from experience that they poop A LOT.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #22 
Micho

Hrm I only remember the Nerite snail but I'll look around! If I get a snail do I still have to get algae wafers? I don't plan to add a snail until 1 month later when I get some algae build up, sounds like a good plan?

So currently I have right now: 6 Neon Tetras, 4/5 Cories, one Betta, and a snail or two when my algae builds up~

Woot, me gusta.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #23 
BettaMiah

NO MORE! That is overstocked Already. Cory Catfish need 10 gallons EACH. And need to have a companion, which none of your fish will be.

Neons NEED to be in a school of 6 and need 15 gallons to shoal properly. Just themselves.

NO SNAILS. They actually have a HUGE Bioload. Shrimp have almost none. Hence why I keep mine in a 1 gallon filtered and heated bowl.

Get rid of the Cory Catfish and the Neons. You can't have them, unless you want dead fish.

Sorry to seem stern, but that is a horrible setup. Been there with overstocking, done that.

You CAN divide it 3 ways and get 2 more Bettas. And maybe 3 or 4 shrimp for each section.

Sorry. Please return them.

No me gusta nada.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #24 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
NO MORE! That is overstocked Already. Cory Catfish need 10 gallons EACH. And need to have a companion, which none of your fish will be.

Neons NEED to be in a school of 6 and need 15 gallons to shoal properly. Just themselves.

NO SNAILS. They actually have a HUGE Bioload. Shrimp have almost none. Hence why I keep mine in a 1 gallon filtered and heated bowl.

Get rid of the Cory Catfish and the Neons. You can't have them, unless you want dead fish.

Sorry to seem stern, but that is a horrible setup. Been there with overstocking, done that.

You CAN divide it 3 ways and get 2 more Bettas. And maybe 3 or 4 shrimp for each section.

Sorry. Please return them.

No me gusta nada.
._______. Lol I dunno, both Sakura and OFL both said that my setup was fine to be honest, you're the only one to disagree with them.

I haven't bought the fishies yet, this thread was the get some opinions on what fish to get, and how many.

I don't get why cories need 10 gallon each, they're tiny, probably around one inch? And they've matured. . . My friend had for them around 6 months? She says they haven't grown since she got them. .

Also neons are small too? 6 neons in a 15 gallon by themselves kinda spoiled. .

My 10 gallon is going to be heavily planted with about 10 ~ 15 plants, so some ammonia will be sucked up, if you didn't read some of my previous posts. So yeah. . I might overstocking a bit.

But a Betta to a 10 gallon by himself. . Yeah not gonna happen, the reason why I got a ten gallon was to let him swim with other fish.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #25 
BettaMiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
._______. Lol I dunno, both Sakura and OFL both said that my setup was fine to be honest, you're the only one to disagree with them.

I haven't bought the fishies yet, this thread was the get some opinions on what fish to get, and how many.

I don't get why cories need 10 gallon each, they're tiny, probably around one inch? And they've matured. . . My friend had for them around 6 months? She says they haven't grown since she got them. .

Also neons are small too? 6 neons in a 15 gallon by themselves kinda spoiled. .

My 10 gallon is going to be heavily planted with about 10 ~ 15 plants, so some ammonia will be sucked up, if you didn't read some of my previous posts. So yeah. . I might overstocking a bit.

But a Betta to a 10 gallon by himself. . Yeah not gonna happen, the reason why I got a ten gallon was to let him swim with other fish.

Reasons-

Snails crap a ton. Bad for bioload.

Cory Catfish can actually get 4 inches, mine is. Plus, if your is healthy, they like to swim. A lot. 10 gallons is too small for a 4" fish.

Neons are VERY active fish. They swim a ton. They also need EXCELLENT water quality, which, even with tons of plants, you will fail to provide. Even if you has the best water in the world but had them in a 5g, they would not thrive or even survive.

Please, PLEASE, do not get them. Why not get 3 Betta fish? But if you don't want them, here are some excellent, fun, and cute additions that will thrive in your set up!

- 2 African Dwarf Frogs
- 4-5 Ghost Shrimp/Cherry shrimp (I recommend Ghost)
- And maybe 3 or4 Endlers.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #26 
Tisia

there's quite a few different types of corydoras, including a few pygmy types that only get to be about an inch big. they're actually one of the most commonly suggested tank mates for 10 gallon tanks with bettas
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #27 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
there's quite a few different types of corydoras, some of them only get to be about an inch big. they're actually one of the most commonly suggested tank mates for 10 gallon tanks with bettas
Yeah, those little buggers don't seem to grow that big to be honest. .____.;

I was choosing between shrimp and snails, seeing how shrimps can be easily picked off by my Betta or any other fish while snails have armor I kinda think that a snail would be my best bet for an algae eating friend.

If the snail doesn't work out (AKA dies), it's okay. I'll be having a little nano red cherry shrimp tank, apparently they reproduce like mad, so I can drop there in my 10 gallon and pray to God that they don't die. That's if I can find any RCS around here.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #28 
BettaMiah

Okay, then the small cories. But not those you find at ones in the pet stores. Like green ones or pandas or albinos.

Still, NO NEONS!!!

I still suggest Shrimp. Snails poop like mad. And they only clean algae, while shrimp will even eat wasted food or waste.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #29 
Tisia

I think I've seen cherry shrimp from Canadian sellers on AB, so you could always try there if nothing else
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #30 
Micho

I dunno, there has to be some other fish I can add to my tank, other than the 4/5 Cories. . Since they dwell on the bottom of the tank most of the times they're kinda meh. Great cleaner uppers if some food gets to the bottom. I might get shrimps, really they're kinda cute, but snails are cute too. If I were to get shrimps, like say Ghost Shrimps ('cause I see them everywhere), how many should I get?

AND WAI NO NEON TETRAS? NO GUSTA, I WANT FISHY FISHIES.