Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #31 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
Okay, then the small cories. But not those you find at ones in the pet stores. Like green ones or pandas or albinos.

Still, NO NEONS!!!

I still suggest Shrimp. Snails poop like mad. And they only clean algae, while shrimp will even eat wasted food or waste.
The vast majority (like 99.9%) of the corydoras available in the hobby don't grow larger than 3". Because they are stationary and don't move around much, they don't need a large footprint as say a very active 3" inch cichlid. The inch rule, as I've noted before, is a very loose guideline. Other factors must be taken into account, including diet and territoriality and activity. Generally speaking, herbivores and omnivores carry a lower bioload than carnivores. As noted, cory cats are relatively stationary fish, therefore they don't need nor want vast amounts of space. Neons are schooling fish. Since they won't fight like cichlids would, they don't need a set amount of space per fish to set up a territory. Both are omnivores. Their bioload is relatively small compared to many other types of fish.

I have 10 neons in my 10g and they are very happy (their color is so vibrant!). Even professional aquarists stock them in tanks as small as 10g. Please note the stocking lists I copied from books by professional aquarists.

101 Best Tropical Fishes by Kathleen Wood
10 gallon Quiet Amazon Pool Stocking List
Top Swimmers: 3 marbled hatchetfish
Midwater Swimmers: 12 neon tetras
Bottom Swimmers: 3 panda corydoras, 1 clown pleco

Here's another 10g stocking list from a different book, Freshwater Aquariums by David Boruchowitz (I really respect this guy a lot)
3 platies
5 zebra danios
2 cherry barbs
3 cory cats

I also have in the same 10g 2 panda cories and 2 Venezuelan Sailfin cories (variations of Bronze Cories). In a cycled and mature tank with plants, this is a reasonable stocking.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #32 
ggriffin411

I recently had to segregate a female betta in my community tank because she started attacking the other fish. I have a moderately planted 10 gallon with three caves and a fake piece of driftwood to break up the flow of the filter. Her tank mates were 5 neons and a banded cory (who just turned 17 this month). The betta had been living peacefully with them for about 6 months and suddenly turned on them; I had to put in a divider. Just keep an eye on things.
ggriffin411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #33 
Sakura8

Hi ggriffin and welcome to the forum. Wow, a banded cory! I'd love one but I'm lucky if I find a cory that's not an albino bronze cory. And 17, that's amazing.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #34 
MybettaSapphire

Snails, at least Mystery Snails, eat EVERYTHING. Seriously, I've seen one of mine climb up to the top of the tank and eat betta pellets off the surface of the water. They do eat extra food, and also eat veggies, algae chips, whatever. They certainly have a big bioload, but I think they're worth it, and make a tank very entertaining. Also, a full sized mystery is pretty darn awesome to see. Mine are still probably an inch and a half in diameter, but the breeder I got my mollies from had ones that were the size of my palm!

Certainly the bioload is something that you have to keep in mind when stocking, but I don't think that should stop you from considering a mystery snail or another variety of snail.
MybettaSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #35 
Sakura8

Would a mystery snail's bioload be more or equal to a betta's, I wonder?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #36 
Tisia

I'd guess way more. they poop almost constantly and get pretty big
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #37 
Sakura8

Ah. Okay, eww. I don't even really want to think about snail poop. o.O
Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #38 
MybettaSapphire

Even though I own three of them, I've never actually seen "snail poop". And even though Petunia (the golden mystery snail in my betta tank) can polish off an entire quarter inch slice of zucchini by herself in a day, their tank look pristine with weekly 10-20% water changes.

They do eat A LOT though, even the small ones.
MybettaSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #39 
Princess Penny

Didn't read this whole thread but I don't recommend shrimp with bettas, my guy is super calm and docile but the two ghost shrimp I got are dead and MIA after not even a week!
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #40 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MybettaSapphire View Post
Even though I own three of them, I've never actually seen "snail poop". And even though Petunia (the golden mystery snail in my betta tank) can polish off an entire quarter inch slice of zucchini by herself in a day, their tank look pristine with weekly 10-20% water changes.

They do eat A LOT though, even the small ones.
here you go, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote