Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #51 
Sakura8

If even professional aquarists who have been in the hobby for decades stock 3 hatchetfish, 12 neons, 3 cory cats, and 1 pleco in a 10g, who am I to argue? All I can say is my neons seem quite happy and so do my cories. Granted, I don't have snails but I am going to be adding two platies in when they're done with QT and they poop a lot sooo . . . anyway.

Micho, what kind of cory cats can you get? Aim for Julii cories if you can. They stay smaller than bronzes but are hardier than pandas. And I've heard good things about nerite snails. Don't have any snails, they kinda creep me out. Oh and what kind of filter do you have for the 10g? Best to get a filter that is overrated for your tank. Mine is rated for up to a 20g.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #52 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If even professional aquarists who have been in the hobby for decades stock 3 hatchetfish, 12 neons, 3 cory cats, and 1 pleco in a 10g, who am I to argue? All I can say is my neons seem quite happy and so do my cories. Granted, I don't have snails but I am going to be adding two platies in when they're done with QT and they poop a lot sooo . . . anyway.

Micho, what kind of cory cats can you get? Aim for Julii cories if you can. They stay smaller than bronzes but are hardier than pandas. And I've heard good things about nerite snails. Don't have any snails, they kinda creep me out. Oh and what kind of filter do you have for the 10g? Best to get a filter that is overrated for your tank. Mine is rated for up to a 20g.
Hrm, I'll ask my PFS if they have those, they probably won't carry that specific of a fish to be honest, hard to even find plants here. I'll ask the workers there to give me the smallest cories they have, and ask how big the grow. My PFS worker's are actually educated with these fish, and don't treat Bettas like poop like my LPS. The reason why I was siding with snails is because after seeing shrimp horror stories, I rather get a little tough guy with an armour on his body than a defenceless shrimp. Right now I'm using the Tetra Whisper 10i, seems like a great filter, would I need to upgrade? I'll probably have to baffle it if I get a 20g filter won't I?
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #53 
Sakura8

You don't have to upgrade your filter if you don't want (or can't afford to) but if you do decide to, I recommend the AquaClear 20 because it has a flow adjustor. Then you won't need to baffle it. And I agree with you on the shrimp. Too many shrimp end up becoming dinner.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #54 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
You don't have to upgrade your filter if you don't want (or can't afford to) but if you do decide to, I recommend the AquaClear 20 because it has a flow adjustor. Then you won't need to baffle it. And I agree with you on the shrimp. Too many shrimp end up becoming dinner.
I'll keep that filter in mind if I ever do decide to upgrade. The thing is that my hood has a small opening for my filter and barely enough space to fit my heater. So I don't know if I can fit a 20g filter and my heater. Right now Jake is exploring is tank, he's pecking at plants and things. It's exciting. :D The filter output is giving him a tad bit of trouble though, I put a plant infront of the output to block the current so it's all good.

It's it normal that he's swimming around the bottom only? He's quite active he only goes up for air, I thought Bettas were mid to top fish in the tank.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #55 
Sakura8

Jake probably will work his way up to the top eventually. He may not even realize yet that he has a whole top layer to explore.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #56 
Pitluvs

I think your list is a bit overstocked but with heavy planting and proper care it could work well for you. My local tropical forum recommends Neons for 10g tanks as well. I have an apple snail in my tank, just a bit smaller than my palm and 6 celestial pearls and 5 Glowlight Tetras. Overstocked to some but with the upkeep I perform on it, my levels stay stable.

BettaMiah, you've said your concerns and I think we should let the OP choose what they want to do based on knowledge given, yes? No need to be hostile. Many people on here keep forked with bettas in 10g tanks. Many people keep neons with bettas as well. And who's to say the OP doesn't upgrade down the road?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #57 
Sakura8

Heavy planting is good. Plants gobble up fish poo. Any tank is overstocked if the hobbyist doesn't keep up with the water changes. Hence, even a 1 gallon betta tank with 1 betta is overstocked if the aquarist doesn't change the water.

Micho, Pitluvs is right. It's all up to you.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #58 
Micho

I'm actually going to hold off on adding fish friends until I have this tank cycled first. I'm going to add more plants and do a fish-in cycle with Jake, and my live plants. Once cycled I'll start considering my companions for Jake again, I don't really wanna add a whole ton of fish to an uncycled tank. Seems kinda unsafe to me. So yeah thanks for your help guys, I'll make a new thread or rebump this thread after my tank cycles and what not. In the meantime I'll look out for any fishies that might work out for my community tank.

Thanks for you input guys.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #59 
aurasoulful

We want pictures when it's complete :)
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #60 
Micho

I'm going to bump this now since I'm ready to add fish in, well I already have added fish in.

That is what my tank looks like right now; with two swords, java fern, crypt, echinodorus, crinum, and the val split into three plants so they're in different locations right now. I'll be adding three marimo moss balls and I'm done.

Along with that yesterday I made a greedy buy at my PFS, I asked if they had pygmy cories and they said they do, which is rare. These buggers are tiny. I asked for four of them, but when I got back home I saw six. . So I got two free fish I guess. :D

On the first night Jake was chasing them, I turned off the lights and went to bed. Woke up this morning, he wasn't chasing them at all. Kinda you know leaving them alone. . Right now I can only spot four of the cories. They're too tiny I couldn't even spot the fourth one until awhile. .

I was wondering, how many of these cories I could add? I believe they like to be in groups. So I scratched the ideas of tetras since I now know Jake is aggressive. And I plan to just add these cute little buggers in.

So td;lr how many pygmy cories can thrive in my 10 gallon heavily planted tank along with one male Betta?